post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 2003 SLK 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DA_SURG
(Thread Starter)
Favorite/Most hated Feature on any Benz?

What is your guys' favorite feature on any benz that you've owned/experienced? Mine is: one of my friends had a late 80's D class with a button that flipped the rear headrests up, which was just overkill in my view. Probably the most hated is ESP :).

2004 S500 4MATIC ----- license plate ideas???
2003 SLK320 Magma Red "DA SURG"
2002 Subaru Forester
2002 Dacia Solenza
1999 Mitsubishi Montero
1998 Toyota Corolla
1988 Yugo
---------------------------
"The end justifies the means"

"Because I'm a man!" Steve Galovich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
RE: Favorite/Most hated Feature on any Benz?

The worst MB feature has to be the proliferation of unwashed foreigners purchasing previously owned MB's and not properly maintaining them.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 02:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to danwatt

I don't remember reading about that in the brochure. Stick to the fucking topic.

Anyways

I can't decide whether the lack of cup holders is good or bad. Seeing that every single car made has them now, it makes my car feel too elegant for cupholders.

Worst features (I guess I'll just refer to my 300SE)

The hood release handle in front of the grill. It's held together by a tiny little pin. Mine broke the other day, so I have to figure out how to get my hood up to change the oil. Argh.

The economy gauge. Having an economy guage in a car that gulps fuel is absurd. Whenever I drive, I see it sitting there, laughing at me. Should be renamed to "Look at all the money you're wasting" gauge.

One of my favorite features is the sun visor over the mirror. That thing is extremely useful.

The fasten seatbelt light over the mirror. I don't see how a little sign is going to make somebody put their seatbelt on, because you either do it or you don't. It's kind of hard to forget about.

The rear defroster takes forever. By the time it's somewhat clear, I'm already at my destination.

The lack of a rheostat for the fan power. It's either blasting you, barely flowing, or the car decides (seemingly on random) what temperature air it should blow and how hard (hahahaha).

I love how perfect the steering feels. Not like I'm driving a toy, like a lot of power steering cars. And it's not like I'm at the gym, like my 1985 Toyota pickup. Perfect feel.

Rear ashtrays and lighters. I drive people around a lot, and it's nice for everybody to have their own ashtray and lighter built into the car.

Size of trunk. Lovely.

Wipers on headlights. What the hell? I don't plan on off roading any time soon (unless I win the lotto). If it's possible for them to get SO dirty that they require cleaning, I'd hate to see how the rest of the car would look by then.

2nd gear start. I still can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

I love the power seat controller. And I love how passengers always fiddle with them while trying to put their window down and hope that I don't notice.

The extending antenna. I never listen to the radio, and I can't stand how antennas always interuppt a car's lines.

That grippy stuff on the bottom of the floor mats loves to fall off.

But most of all, I love how smooth it is, regardless of speed. I've had instances where somebody would be lying down in the back seat (unable to see any thing outside the car to accurately assume the speed) would be extremely suprised that I was doing 95 for the past hour. Drive any other car at high speeds for a long period of time and it's going to rattle apart.

Not really feeling speedbumps is nice too, but I'm probably killing my suspension.
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 03:26 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Awesome topic! I have shared such ideas quite frequently with other mercedes owners and I think it's quite appropriate especially for the likes of Mercedes in particular.

I'm really tired at the moment because it is very late but I will share a few before I go to bed. These are in no particular order. (referring to W124 300E)

LOVE - probly my favorite: Seeing the three pointed star at the end of my hood. I know not all benzes have them but while driving my 300E, I can't help but smile a wide grin while the star in front glistens all lights and gives me a warmth of pride.

LOVE: The 90 degree hood feature for easy access into the engine compartment. Absolutely genious!

HATE: The plastics on the seats that always break off or fall off and are impossible to put back on.

LOVE: The seats... everything about them. Great support, awesome controls, plus position memory.

LOVE: Windows on center console. Conventient placement, always feels cool to have the left hand on the wheel while the right controls the window.

HATE: Maintainence costs. What can I say, I don't have the kind of extra cash to dump out $1200 for every major tuneup. Then again I am a starving student as it is.

LOVE/HATE: Marshmellow soft ride in any conditions, but lack of handling. When she gets squirley in a corner its just nasty.

HATE: The temperature dial knob for climate control... absoluelt stupid! Make it the whole climate control for that matter, I don't like the buttons either.

LOVE: Factory alarm had SO many anti-theft features for being a 10+ year old car... even sensors for if the car was being jacked up.

LOVE: The single windsheild wiper.. I don't know why but it always felt cooler to have one.

LOVE: No pushbutton locker crap on the auto tranny stick lever, makes for smoothe use, plus cool shift gates.

HATE: Cup holders, definitely bugs me every time I try to carry coffee and end up holding 2 cups with one arm while taking corners

LOVE: Lights in both vanity mirrors, plus multi function dome lights. Add to that a button to control the rear dome light from the front as well. And another thing I just thought of, the lights on the bottom of the doors that shine where you're going to step.

That's all my brain has allowed me to think of right now, I may add tomorrow

Quote:
danwatt - 12/15/2004 1:15 AM

I don't remember reading about that in the brochure. Stick to the fucking topic.

Anyways

I can't decide whether the lack of cup holders is good or bad. Seeing that every single car made has them now, it makes my car feel too elegant for cupholders.

Worst features (I guess I'll just refer to my 300SE)

The hood release handle in front of the grill. It's held together by a tiny little pin. Mine broke the other day, so I have to figure out how to get my hood up to change the oil. Argh.

The economy gauge. Having an economy guage in a car that gulps fuel is absurd. Whenever I drive, I see it sitting there, laughing at me. Should be renamed to "Look at all the money you're wasting" gauge.

One of my favorite features is the sun visor over the mirror. That thing is extremely useful.

The fasten seatbelt light over the mirror. I don't see how a little sign is going to make somebody put their seatbelt on, because you either do it or you don't. It's kind of hard to forget about.

The rear defroster takes forever. By the time it's somewhat clear, I'm already at my destination.

The lack of a rheostat for the fan power. It's either blasting you, barely flowing, or the car decides (seemingly on random) what temperature air it should blow and how hard (hahahaha).

I love how perfect the steering feels. Not like I'm driving a toy, like a lot of power steering cars. And it's not like I'm at the gym, like my 1985 Toyota pickup. Perfect feel.

Rear ashtrays and lighters. I drive people around a lot, and it's nice for everybody to have their own ashtray and lighter built into the car.

Size of trunk. Lovely.

Wipers on headlights. What the hell? I don't plan on off roading any time soon (unless I win the lotto). If it's possible for them to get SO dirty that they require cleaning, I'd hate to see how the rest of the car would look by then.

2nd gear start. I still can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

I love the power seat controller. And I love how passengers always fiddle with them while trying to put their window down and hope that I don't notice.

The extending antenna. I never listen to the radio, and I can't stand how antennas always interuppt a car's lines.

That grippy stuff on the bottom of the floor mats loves to fall off.

But most of all, I love how smooth it is, regardless of speed. I've had instances where somebody would be lying down in the back seat (unable to see any thing outside the car to accurately assume the speed) would be extremely suprised that I was doing 95 for the past hour. Drive any other car at high speeds for a long period of time and it's going to rattle apart.

Not really feeling speedbumps is nice too, but I'm probably killing my suspension.

I agree with all of yours, very nice write up
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 05:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: '82 380SL+'02 ML320
Fun topic

I love the single-stalk/always-on cruise control. Brilliant.

I love MB-Tex. Wish my ML had it.

I loved having one wheel style across the line, minus chrome(as a product of the 60's, I was glad to see it go).

I love the complicated nomenclature, especially the old days.

I love panorama roofs, and wish I had one.

I love self-closing liftgates, and wish my ML had one.

I love that many 80's and older MBs are classics in the "worth preserving" sense, and should be regarded by their owners that way.

Rant time: I hate that MB is no longer a true prestige line. But that's life in the auto biz. DMC is just another global transportation company with a premium line. And the truth is, if they hadn't changed, I wouldn't be able to afford one, particularly new.

Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Mikimoto/Blue Lagoon, Wal Mart/Sam's Club (aaargh), Ann Taylor/The Loft, Mercedes Benz/MB Lite? Same as it ever was.

1974 280 (gone)
1982 380SL (schwarzekatz)
1984 300TDT (why did I get rid of the best one?)
1992 300E (gone and forgotten)
1993 190E (daughter drives)
1994 E320 Wagon (gone and forgotten)
2002 ML320 (thank goodness for extended warranty)
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...

I'm flabberghasted - nobody has mentioned the fly-off handbrake (emergency/parking brake to you yanks). Horrendous ergonomic nightmare, makes manual drivers think it's the clutch so they drive off with it squealing and smoking all over the place, turns maintaining anything in the dash into a major structural exercise, makes hill-starts in manual cars a complete joke (and I've tried it, oh dear me yes! - you would think that Stuttgart was as flat as Amsterdam based on how that "works"!)

best feature? the hood star. No contest.

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

I love key-less go and the way the trunk opens on a R230. I hate mb-tex, it tears so easy.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I must agree with some of the posts, the "hand brake" is not a good design:
1. No control for hills
2. I have used it by mistake while opening the hood
3. I have on many occasions driven the car with the breaks on (the control is not intuitive).
4. Because of the above, I broke the spring that holds the break cable into the chassis hence I have a constant break light even after release.

The sunroof mechanism is prone to sticking
Hood latch is hard to pull
gas consumption
emission control: mine always fails by a little (I can never get it right).
The front defrost runs on high (no control to tome it down).

The good stuff:
w126 ==> a very handsom car no matter what age
easy to work on
parts are not very expensive (expensive labor though)
Smooth engine (117.)
excellent legroom (but stiff seating)
Stiff chassis
Good stearing response
Excellent brakes for a 5000lb car
Always gets positive comments

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Ok, I will mention all the features that I love.

1. Ventilated seats. It’s nice to have warm or cold air on your highnee.

2. Memory seats, memory side mirrors and memory review mirrors. I just press a button and everything adjusts to my favorite position.

3. Keyless go. I just leave the keys and my pocket and just touch the door handle and the car unlocks. To start the car, I just press a button.

4. My hard top convertible. Just press a button and the top goes up or down.

5. Parktronic. No more bumping into curbs, walls, and people.

6. TPMS. I can see what the pressure of my tires are without getting into the cold weather.

7. NAV. It is a lot safety than reading a map, especial at 80 MPHs. Like the directions in the instrument cluster.

8. Massage function on my ventilated seats. Give you a good lower back massage.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1993 320E 3.2 24v
Send a message via AIM to g4hacker Send a message via MSN to g4hacker

Love: Comfort, Quiet ride, Pretty powerful (3.2 24v).
Hate: Mintance cost, Fuel Economy, Weak suspension and single windshield wiper.

[:0]

1993 300E 3.2 24valve
1996 E320 daily driver
2001 E430 V8 powah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in