LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
attaching lip spoiler

got a lip spoiler for my slk.... came painted and with a tube of Betalink K1..... no instructions... anyone out there that would care to help me with this part of a project? what is the proper method to attach a lip spoiler with this product..... thank you, WW....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 01:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 C230 SS
RE: attaching lip spoiler

If the lip spoiler has some "flat" mounting sufaces, you can use "automobile grade" 3M 2 sided tape. The betalink glue can be a messy method. I've applied (2) lip spoilers using 3M with no problems...[;)]

2005 C230 SS
2000 VW Passat 1.8t
Crown Vic w/roof lights
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thank you. I dropped by the local MB contract body/paint shop - they were not familiar enough with the Betalink product to want to take the job of installing it. I am concerned though..... they were not big on the tape method either - go figgah!...... I am still looking about for some one who will attach this unit.... tape or no tape... mm. Can I purchase this 3M tape product across the conter at a paint store?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 C230 SS

it's probably best if you buy the tape at a body/paint supply store, does the dealer want to drill holes in your deck ?? I've had no problems with my "taped" spoilers....

2005 C230 SS
2000 VW Passat 1.8t
Crown Vic w/roof lights
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hey guys, I was an Adhesive rep for 3M for almost 5 years, until recently.... when I stopped to start a private family business.

First off, the 3M Automotive tape should work well. Most OEM mouldings are attached with this tape. It has enormous dynamic strength. However, it MUST be installed properly. The 3M tapes used in the automotive sector generally have differential adhesives. In other words, since one usually attaches to plastic, and one to metal... the side that attaches to plastic is a softer adhesive the side that attaches to the metal/paint is a stiffer adhesive.

The stiffer adhesive offers better overall hold on good to bond surfaces (such as car grade painted metal). The softer adhesive is necessary to bond to the plastic surface because plastic is more difficult to bond to, thus it needs a softer adhesive technology. In order to increase the adhesiveness on the plastic sections, you can use an adhesive promoter. MEK can be used if you have trouble finding an appropriate 3M promoter. Before applying the primer (promoter), you should scuff up the plastic with a light abrasion with scotchbrite.... clean off the dust.... then apply the promoter.

On the paint, you should clean it with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol = Rubbing alcohol). This will NOT damage the paint, it will only clean things like wax and other potential contaminants.

DO NOT use WINDEX or similar products to clean. They have materials that prevent bonding.

You can use one of the Industrial Tapes if you have a difficulty finding one of the Automative Tapes. The Industrial tape you should try is VHB 4941 (45 thou thick), 4956 (62 thou), 4991 (90 thou - probably too thick..... all 3 are the same material... just different thicknesses), if the spoiler is made from ABS, PC, or rigid PVC. If it happens to be made of PE or PP (I doubt it) let me know. You can get the Industrial version at a place like RS Hughes. http://rshughes.com/ (they can sell you a single roll 1/2", 3/4" or 1") The other nice thing about the industrial product is that it doesn't have a differential tack adhesive on both sides... so you don't have to worry about which surface to attach the appropriate side of the tape.

Conversely you can try to get one of the automotive tapes through one of the Paint/Body shop distributors. I don't know who the 3M aftermarket distributors are down in the US.

More info: http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-169/cFzceFZ/view.jhtml

I hope that helps.

OH, BTW, if you want to be "Secure" about everything... you can add a liquid adhesive as well as the tape.... no pun intended. [:D]

If you have any questions, let me know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 11:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 86 420 SEL
Send a message via AIM to lisnjay Send a message via MSN to lisnjay

I agree with Metastable, VHB is a GREAT product... The car could rust away and the VHB will be the only thing holding it together.

Jay
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my post so throughly. Your instructions and recommendations will be used to apply this spoiler. I feel better already! WW
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hey no problems. Like I said, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in