LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1980 MB280ce
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Proud new owner of a MB 280ce (currently unknown year)

Hi, Im the proud new owner of an (unknown year) mercedes benz 280ce. Its a long story on the details of the car but everythings in good working order and the cars fully loaded from what I see. Im getting it from my fathers friend who runs an autobody shop and has around 30 cars sitting in the back one of which was the mercedes I purchased. The only problem with the car is that the trans slips ocasionaly. It does slip just about everytime you drive it but the thing is hes allready got a replacement transmission for it ready for installation. The problem is....the installation, hes done jobs like this before on hundreds of domestic and imports but its just going to be alot of work and I would appretiate anyone who knows how to fix a slipping trans. In some cases ive heard its just a problem with the vacuum hoses or sensors. Any advice would save us alot of work and time. The cars condition is seriously completely restored and wed hate to tear it apart....just for the trans but obviously if it needs to be done it will be done but like I said any info at all on the subject will be much appretiated.

Other then that anyone have any tips on known problems with these cars?

Its got a 2.8L Inline 6cyl fuel injected DOHC (its a pretty nice engine)backwheel drive,4 speed auto, Im sure you know the rest.

Btw- The year of the car is Definatly newer then 1980, its got tons of options on it and a special wheel package and its probably the best model they had available. you name it its probably got it. The reason I cant figure out the year is as simple as me forgetting to ask everytime I go over there...thanks for your time. -Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RE: Proud new owner of a MB 280ce (currently unknown year)

There are various plates on the car, like the drivers door B pillar, with the year of manufacture on it. Also the VIN can be decoded to get the year. Look on the radiator support for a plate which has the option codes. You will see some square holes stamped in it.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: '81 280SE

Have you tried a couple bottles of stop slip trans fluid? You never know your luck.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Change the ATF and filter first if you don’t know when it was last changed. Use Dexron III. I’ve seen that work wonders.

My guess is you’ve got a w123 chassis. As noted above, check the body tag on the rad support (pic below) it will tell you the model year and chassis number.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44_1347420_11132004100547PM.jpg (35.4 KB, 127 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1980 MB280ce
(Thread Starter)

Thanks ill be sure to put all this info to good use and hopefully come back with some nice pics of the car...its been sitting for a WHILE but....its got brand new molding and chrome from ray catena so....im not letting the car go to waste heh heh

Thanks again - Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in