MB's Anemic Sales because of Quality Issues - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: MB's Anemic Sales because of Quality Issues

The hard core true believers always mention the expensive electronics as the cause of MB QC "perceived" decline. They always point out how MB is on the leading edge of technology and you simply have to overlook certain shortcomings in a prestige car like MB. Others, who simply want a quality luxury car with some prestige attached don't drink the coolaid. They know poor quality when they see it and they won't keep quiet. How is rust in body panels and frame components an electronic problem? Rust??? Anyone here drive an American or Japanese car of the last decade and see a common rust problem? You speak of windows that won't work. True if it's the motor or controls. That's not as big a problem as the cheap ass regulators that ROUTINELY fail. Same with the sunroof. How about the air conditioning systems? Cheaply constructed but EXPENSIVE to repair. Anyone feel the transmissions are bulletproof? The list goes on. I commend your strong allegiance to the MB star. Even when the general media and even the highest executives in the corporation acknowledge a severe QC problem, you're still singing their praises. I hope your loyalty does not go unrewarded.

BTW, didn't MB buy Chrysler? It's not the other way around.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2004

First of all, my "faith" to the star, is they provide me with a living. i am a technician. although you see the problems that your car has everyday, i see the problems that everyones cars have, everyday. i must tell you that most of what i do everyday especially on the newer cars (which is what this thread is about) is electrical. i take it that you drive a 210 chassis? yes, the window regulators do break. every car ever made has some sort of chronic problem. not everyone experiences it, but they are out there. on to your transmission complaint. most transmissions that fail are not maintained properly. people extend service intervals, use the wrong fluid, dont fill them properly , or neglect to change the filter. but heres the bottom line to everyone who reads this, and has had problems with their vehicle. ITS MAN MADE, ITS GOING TO BREAK, ITS GOING TO BE SOONER OR LATER!! if whatever it is broke with 25000 miles on the car, think of it this way, it took you around the world... or close enough. oh and by the way, tiggerfink, i searched online with mercedes, and there is no bulletin out for 230 chassis sl's wheels, or problems with them. what kind of "overspray" i think you said, was it? if you could, can you post a pick of it? i would like to see it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes 1979 280ce

Reliability is only one aspect of quality, however;
this website ranks reliability based on the model and year for major automobile makers. To a casual car shopper, the Mercedes reliability rankings, available in this website, along with similar ratings by other media sources like Comsumer Reports identify electrical problems, as well as media preception problems that require attention.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

I took my SL in today to get the SBC upgrade and to replace the spring in my center glove box. The dealer said the wheels are still on back order. I will take a picture of the wheels and post them as soon as I get the film develop.

I love my two Mercedes and they are fun to drive, but I have more problems out of them than any car I own.

My 2002 SLK 320 had both CATs replaced within the first 2 years. Dealer replaced the battery because it fail diagnostic. Dealer replaced center console trim around the wood because it was peeling. The central looking pump in the rear was replaced. And the instrument cluster was replaced. Also both rear tail light assemblies had to be replace. Other than that, the SLK320 is still an enjoyable car to drive. I was surprised that my z rated tires lasted 35K miles.

So far the 2004 SL500 is not looking good, besides the dealer causing most of the problems. It took me 5 trips for the dealer to fix the wind noise on the driver side's door. If you let the window down and up, the wind noise would go away. The dealer had to adjust the pinch motor. The glove box in the dash had to be adjusted by a screw driver because it would not open and middle glove box needed a new spring. And I all most forgot about the stress crack in the windshield and the head rest that missed quality control.

Now that everything is fix, wife and I hope we have no more problems.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 08:43 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2004

your catalytic converters are covered under fedral emissions warranty fo up to 8 years 80k miles. really mb doesnt have to replace them for the rattles though, as long as they are still doing there job. i have never had any of the cars with noisy cats set fault codes for emissions. the battery is a maintainence item. most manufacturers wont cover a battery under warranty. mb replaced it before you ever had a problem with it. most of your problems are covered under warranty. save your frustration for when its out of warranty. or do the smart thing and trade it in when its out... the new body style slks are very nice...
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: