post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to batchkov
(Thread Starter)
mobilephone

in our 320 e class-99 we have a motorla mobilephone holder.

anyone here know what kind of motorola i have to buy?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
RE: mobilephone

It really depends on the service plan that your carrier is offering. In my area Verizon and Cingular are only offering GSM plans. If they are only offering GSM plans in your area then the phone holder will not work with a GSM phone.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004

if its a mb original phone installtion, its probably a star tac, or time port style phone. it has to be a mb though, or else the holder will only be good for charging, none of the other functions will work.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

ok. but the holder is for a GSM phone. The only thing I want to know is what kinds of motorola cellphones are made for this holder for I think It had been installed original.

thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

It can not be GSM from Mercedes. The GSM phones have not came out yet. The phones were delay because of the cradle. Your phone may be a tri band phone with GSM tracking. That means your phone can be track down by a satellite.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

ok. thank you, tiggerfink. [:)]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004

I do not understand the info posted here. I have an '05 CLK320. It has the phone capability installed, but no phone. The manual clearly calls for a GSM phone. The web site claims such a phone exists and shows photos of it.

I was wondering what the cost of the phone is, approx. I was thinking of getting this for my wife for Christmas if reasonable. I will call the dealer certainly, but wondered what the MB community knows about the situation.

Is there a phone for my car? About how much does it cost for the phone?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG
Some of that info isn't right

tiggerfink, I think a few things you posted are not quite right. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and does not offer GSM service. Cingular is a relatively new carrier that only offers GSM. Back in '99, you would have had choices between GSM, CDMA, and TDMA. The current choice is really between CDMA and GSM, not including Nextel. [Analog is still used but is not really the primary target of the major carrers.] So, back in '99, MB would have had GSM and probably CDMA handsets.

Also in '99, most handsets would have been at least dualband, trimode. That is, CDMA 800/1900 MHz and analog 800 MHz. The GSM phones would have been similar.

I'm not sure what you mean by GSM tracking. Currently all CDMA handsets in the US have GPS capabilities using GPS satellites - only used for emergency calls. I don't know that any GSM carriers have this feature today. GSM carriers measure the time of arrival of the signal at the base station to determine the position of the phone. This is the result of the FCC's requirements for 911 calls and the carriers needing to select a method to provide location.

batchkov, I would suggest that you do a search of the forum especially the audio and telematics forum to see what phones works with your car. You may also want to take a look at the MikBox and Paul H. Dicks site.

sleepy hallow, you should be able to get either a CDMA or GSM handset for your car. Moto makes both flavors. It will be quite expensive from the dealer. You might want to check out the MikBox and Paul's site as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 89 300E 195000

as of 9/11 2001 all cell phones made after that date must be equipped with some sort of tracking (GPS or whatever)... in the phone it says that this can be turned off (depends on the model of phone) but im not too sure if it really turns off. when you make a 911 call the tracking is automatically turned on to aid emergency workers in locating your position.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:30 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

icetrey, that is pretty close. Not all carriers use handsets that can do GPS or similar methods. Some rely on their networks to figure out where the mobile is. This is what the GSM/TDMA carriers do. The CDMA carriers use the GPS, and some similar methods. The CDMA carriers were required to start selling handsets that could do these things as of October 1, 2001. Then they had until December 31, 2002 when all new handsets they activated had to be able to do the measurements.

If you have a CDMA handset that does GPS, or maybe gpsOne, then you should be able turn off that function for everything except for calls you make to 911. Some phones only support the feature for emergency calls so you can't disable it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in