BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1994 E420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gta255
(Thread Starter)
RE: GAS

I enjoyed reading your debate but I think i'll just stay with my 93 octane and get 91 when i can. The only place i know of that sells 91 octane is sunoco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris

98 i said[:)]
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris

but 82 will do
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 01:24 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Quote:
MTI - 10/9/2004 3:40 PM
Again,the assumption that the anti-knock sensor will activate isn't necessarily so. I do agree that if it does, the change in tuning will affect mpg and performance, but the only way to verify that the sensor is kicking in is to check the before and after mpg and performance. If there is no change, then there's no reason to use the premium fuel.
MTI, yes, if the fuel did not predetonate, i.e. under pressure, then it would be ok. The whole reason the manufacturer specifies the minimum octane rating is to avoid predetonation. There appears to be enough information from posts in the various BenzWorld fora -basically by folks who did your experiment intentionally or unintentionally - that indicates that the minimum octane rating is not over specified. If we can trust those other posts, we might also look at the compression ratio is an indication.

Teky, I know you know this but for those who don't, and might be confused by it, let's clarify why you state higher octane numbers. The original question was from someone in NA where the PON, Pump Octane Number, is (R+M)/2 not RON like in the UK. The R is RON or Research Octane Number. RON is almost always higher than MON, Motor Octane Number. RON is measured under more gentle conditions than MON. While RON is higher than MON or (R+M)/2 and might sound more impressive, it really is the same as the higher octane rated fuels in NA. One catch though. RON is not a good indicator of fuel stability. That low stability means that the fuel may behave like a lower octane when put under stress. MON is a better indicator of stability. While fuels in the UK might be regulated well enough for RON to be safe, this might not be true for other regions that use RON, making 98 RON attactive.

tiggerfink, I think one of the posts I was referring to was from you. Good story. One thing, an octane booster could be 100 octane fuel - iso-octane- or other higher octane fuel. While you would be adding it to your fuel, it really is just a higer octane gasoline and would be fine to add. Even if you added too much, all you would have is a higher than needed octane and that is ok.

benztech1209, absolutely [:D]. In fact, if you use the lower octane fuel, the fuel efficiency hit makes the delta even less than that. If you didn't check out the link I posted above, I had an example you might get a kick out it since it is on the same track as your post. (MTI, by the way, in that example, I used an estimated average of reported numbers from 3 or 4 individuals who posted their hit in fuel economy when using one grade below spec'd for the R170. Your mileage may vary[:o)]... I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.)
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:05 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350

Sleddog, thanks for the reply. I'm still curious to see what the effect is on a 1994 W124 that was the subject of the orignal post in this thread. [:)]
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 E420
Send a message via AIM to Gta255
(Thread Starter)

i don't think i'm goin to test any lower octane on my 124. I take too much care of it and it's my only transportation to school so if something happened to it, i'd be screwed.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

On page 270 on my 2002 manual, it saids do not accelerate fast if you have to put in lower grade gas. It also saids put in the higher grade gas ASAP. It also saids my warranty may be voided, if I put in any octane boosters. I just do not want to give Mercedes any reason to void my warranty.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Quote:
tiggerfink - 10/11/2004 9:34 PM

I just do not want to give Mercedes any reason to void my warranty.
Smart. You can’t go wrong with that.

17 years earlier my owner’s manual said the same thing; DB/DCX has been consistent on this point.

(Of course, I don’t have warranty issues…)
[;)]
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Here is what the experts say.

Cheapskates burning regular in cars designed to run on premium fuel can expect to trim performance by about the same percent they save at the pump.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3604&page_numb er=1
[:D]

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Quote:
MTI - 10/11/2004 11:05 AM
Sleddog, thanks for the reply. I'm still curious to see what the effect is on a 1994 W124 that was the subject of the orignal post in this thread. [:)]
Guess we will both have to be curious since it seems like Gta255 doesn't want to give it a go either. I don't think that is a really good idea. Just because you don't get ping or knock [the ECU compensates] doesn't mean there isn't bad stuff building up because the fuel is not burned efficiently. Sticking with what is spec'd in the manual is a good idea.
Quote:
tiggerfink said
On page 270 on my 2002 manual, it saids do not accelerate fast if you have to put in lower grade gas. It also saids put in the higher grade gas ASAP. It also saids my warranty may be voided, if I put in any octane boosters. I just do not want to give Mercedes any reason to void my warranty.
My 2004 manual says the same thing. What I was trying to say before is that you filled your tank with a lower octane fuel [less than 91 for example] you could add a higher octane gasoline to raise the octane of the fuel in your tank - for example, use gas with a PON of 100. That would be consistent with the manuals statement to fill up with a higher octane as quickly as possible. I was not suggesting using a generic octane booster which is probably a cocktail of chemicals designed to prevent predetonation. In this example of mine, just where would you expect to find 100 octane if you were not able to find 91 in the first place[:o)]. By the time you could find it, your tank would probably be low enough that just filling it with 91 would be just as effective. Ok, so it wasn't that great an idea but it work just fine in theory.
Quote:
Then tiggerfink said
Here is what the experts say.

Cheapskates burning regular in cars designed to run on premium fuel can expect to trim performance by about the same percent they save at the pump.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3604&page_numb er=1
You mean after all this, there was an article I could have just referred you to? [:D][:D] I wish I would have seen that one before. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in