post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gopesh826
(Thread Starter)
NEED HELP WITH W140, RIMS LIGHTS

hey there. i just moved to massachussets, and my dad gave me a w140 as a hand me down. so now, i have a some money to play around with, and i want to get some 19's or 20's on it, drop it a bit, and get new corner lights as well as a new grille. however, the problem is, i cant have low profile tires in the winter, because with a rwd heavy car like mine, it would run absolutely horribly in the snow. i wanted to know what is hould do in this situation. i wanted to know where all of you got your front corner lights from, and how much they cost. i dislike the yellow lights very much. and i also went to circuit city to get a new deck installed (still have stock deck w/o cd player [:(] ) and the guy tehre told me it would cost a shitload of money because the have to re wire some fiber optic cables or something. is this true or is the guy just trying to rip me off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
RE: NEED HELP WITH W140, RIMS LIGHTS

Hmmmm, the only thing I can see wrong with the car is the lack of clear sides. Replace the sides and leave the rest alone. The car’s fine as it came over on the boat. I got my clear sides here:

www.importvision.com

but their site’s not working now.
[:(]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1989 300E W124
Send a message via AIM to jmvellis

welcome to the forum...and welcome to wonderful New England. I live in NH but i go to school right in Boston. depending where in MA you live i could recommend places to go to for all your needs. if i were you and i was real hell bent on getting new wheels i would keep my stock wheels and put all whether tires on them for the winter and keep the low pros and new wheels for the nice summer whether. also you might not wanna lower your car because the roads here in Mass really suck. as far as parts you can always go to www.performanceproducts.com they have a lot of good stuff.

Go Sox!!! 2004 World Series Champs!!!
Patriots Superbowl XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX Champions!!! Dynasty!!!
YANKEES SUCK!!! YANKEES SUCK!!! YANKEES SUCK!!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Gopesh826.

Keep the stock rims and have some
winter tires put on(Blizzacks or the like).

And only run the dubs in nice weather.

For clear corners:

http://www.lightlens.com/
They don't seem to have any clear corners.

Louis.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

What year is your car? Through 95 and possibly 96 there are no fiber optics to be concerned with. It's still a PITA to replace the stereo because of how the factory system is distributed throughout the car. Suffice it to say you don't want Circuit City touching it. Save up to have it done right or live with how it sounds.

If all you want is a new head unit and CD changer, that's not so difficult. You'll need an antenna cable extension to get from the trunk to the dash, a late model VW harness adapter so you don't have to cut up the factory wiring, and a line level adapter to reduce the new stereo's speaker outputs to be compatible with the 140 amp (Bose). Typical stereo line level outputs aren't compatible with the 140 amp for some reason.

To go a little further, you can tap into the inputs and outputs of the 140 amp (despite the number the speakers it can be made to work as a 4-channel system) to install another amplifier.

I doubt the Circuit City system has the 140 wiring diagram available for reference.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

A friend once changed his rear lamp clusters on his 140 and told me he had to get the corners of the trunk/boot ground down because the newer lights are curved.

Hope that bit of info helped in some little way.

Easy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to gopesh826
(Thread Starter)

- i live in shrewsbury mass, close to worcester. yeah, im gonna keep the dubs/low pros for good weather, and keep snow tires for the winter. i hope thats good enough.

- do i have to go through all that trouble just to get a new deck? im gonna have to get a new amp n stuff when i get my subs, but for now, im just gonna get a new deck because all i have is a cassette player (the car is completely stock).

- thanks for all of your help. any tricks i need to know before throwing the clear corners on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in