BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1984 380 SE--Acceleration problems, hard shifting
This problem is intermittent. When it first began to develop, almost a year ago, the car would run fine at a dead start in the cold moring, but would bog down as the car warmed up. Since then, the idle control valve, spark plugs, vacuum advance, fuel injector seals, catalytic converter (pre and plain ol' cat), and fuel distributor have all been replaced in an attempt to solve this problem. Currently, the car acts bogged down 98% of the time. The other 2%, only moderately bogged. It no longer changes depending on morning or afternoon (but the fact that it's summer could have something to do with that.) You can be depressing the gas pedal at 30 degrees, for example, and keep it there--the car will crawl and then pick up horsepower at a random point during the acceleration. Sometimes, the pick up in horsepower is immediately followed by a car shuddering and teeth clenching shift up into the next gear. Any suggestions? So much money has gone into this problem. I am about to give up. I will be happy to answer any other questions about the car if need be to help diagnose.