LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tape deck beeping - ipod or xm satellite radio

I'm one of those unfortunate people that bought a C230 Mercedes with a tape player and no CD player (Mercedes, welcome to the new millenium where even the Scion has standard CD players). I found out later it would cost $900 to get a cd player installed. I wouldn't have bought the car if I would have known what a pain this would all be. Since I can't afford or justify the cost to install a cd player, I tried using a converter for my ipod that runs from the ipod into the tape deck. Problem is...that stupid alarm that goes off when you don't shut the tape deck door. Does anyone know if there is a way to stop that? I called the dealer and asked if anyone else had a solution...since ipod, xm satellite radio...all of them have this option. He laughed me off the phone and told me to get an expensive stereo installed. Oh, I also tried using the Itrip and XM satellite radio options that broadcast through the stereo without wiring, but both options produced static because I live in a very metropolitan area with no 'clean' reception on the blank stations.
argh. ANybody have suggestion short of my brilliant dealer's advice? [:(]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz CLK430
RE: Tape deck beeping - ipod or xm satellite radio

I feel your pain. I have gone through exactly what you are going through. I tried using the sirius through the radio and ended up ripping the reciever off and throwing it in the garbage because of the static. I did buy one of those tape-to-cd converters and I just closed the tape door forcefully, this worked but I got tired of changing cds and songs and the skipping. Right now I just live with the radio.

I think autoclass had the cd changer for $400. Your best bet would be to search for a cd changer.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:40 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

I know how you feel. I plan to change out the HU in my car (even though I have a CD changer in the trunk). If your radio is similar to the HU in the SLK, you may be able to run the wire from your cassette adapter in such a way that you can close the door. It might flatten out the wire a little bit but don't force anything too much, that could cause other problems.

You do have some other options. You can change out the HU with one that has an in dash CD (that can play MP3's or has an AUX in or better input for your iPod or XM or both). If you like the HU you have, you could use an FM modulator to connect your other devices - iPod, CD changer, or XM. Don't confuse this with the wireless device. This device is hardwired to the antenna port. This should work even in places where there are a lot of FM stations.

Enjoy doing the mod - while you might not like the HU, your car has a lot more going for it than a Scion.[:)]
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

Quote:
I wouldn't have bought the car if I would have known what a pain this would all be.
You know - you bought a car, not a Home Theater. Most manufacturers doesn't bother to put a good stereo in a car because most likely it will be thrown out and replaced with aftermarket.

Quote:
Since I can't afford or justify the cost to install a cd player, I tried using a converter for my ipod that runs from the ipod into the tape deck. Problem is...that stupid alarm that goes off when you don't shut the tape deck door. Does anyone know if there is a way to stop that? I called the dealer and asked if anyone else had a solution...since ipod, xm satellite radio...all of them have this option. He laughed me off the phone and told me to get an expensive stereo installed. Oh, I also tried using the Itrip and XM satellite radio options that broadcast through the stereo without wiring, but both options produced static because I live in a very metropolitan area with no 'clean' reception on the blank stations.
argh. ANybody have suggestion short of my brilliant dealer's advice? [:(]
Problem is your fm modulator is not connected to your car's antenna. Try to look for a higher grade ones - http://www.mp3kit.com/Products/PLL-1_FM/PLL-1_Modulator/pll-1_modulator.html

Kirill
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 09:21 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: CLK,SLK
Send a message via Yahoo to CLK3.GS3

I just forced the door closed, now I have a clean looking hidden wire install of my Delphi XM radio unit. The wires are tucked into the crevice below the radio, then along the sides, under the wood of the shifter and the unit sits in my cupholder area perfectly. I also use this for my ipod. Just leave the tape adapter in the player (with the door closed).

W208CLK/R170SLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in