Which is better gas to fill your car up with--Premium or Super? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Which is better gas to fill your car up with--Premium or Super?

I have a SLK 320 and when I read the article on the Microsoft web site of using a lower grade will get you the same results of a higher grade. Well, I tried the 87 grade and my car ran like crap. I thought I killed my car. The acceleration was bad. That whole week, I was putting in 93 grade in my car as soon as the 87 grade got out of my car. I will never put in anything lower than 91 grade which is recommended on the SLK320.

The bottom line is never put in anything lower than what is recommended for your car.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:16 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Quote:
kb13 - 8/15/2004 10:57 PM
I spoke with a chemical engineer who did research on the subject and discovered the only difference between high octane and regular was additives. He said, unless you are experiencing knock, use the lowest octane. They just add additives to the same basic gas to increase the octane level.
For the most part that is a true statement. There is more than one way to make a higher octane fuel and not every company uses the same recipe. The octane rating is really a ratio of octane, the stable component under pressure, to heptane, the unstable component or a mixture that gives you the equivalent performance of that ratio. One thing not really discussed in this thread is the fuel's sensitivity. A fuel with high sensivity would be one that behaves like a lower octane rating under stress. I imagine that this is more of a concern in areas that use RON instead of (R+M)/2. That's because a high RON fuel can have a low MON. That may be why the dealer recommended that Skipper use the 98 rating instead of 95 [based on some anecdotal experience].

Just because you don't have ping or knock, because the engine management system is able to compensate, doesn't mean that the fuel is burning efficiently. It won't burn efficiently and there will be deposits that could cause bigger problems later. This is a cost you won't see right away.

A recurring theme seems to be that using a lower than recommended octane will save you money. Now, how much are your really saving if you use the lower octane? If you live near me, you might see 87 at $2.11, 89 at $2.21, and 91 at $2.31. Most of our current MB's in the NA require 91. Let's forget about 87, it is too low. The difference in price between 89 and 91 is $.10/gallon or 4.5%. Based on some reports on the R170 forum, using 89 degrades fuel economy by ~3%. That gives a net savings of ~1.5%. If you purchased 20 gallons of 91, you would need 20.6 gallons of 89 to go as far. You would pay $46.20 for the 91 and you would pay $45.53 for the equivalent amount of 89. That would be a net savings of 67cents not the $2 you saw up front. Rather than trying to save a few cents with the lower octane, why not up your tire pressure a little and get a gas card, or equivalent, that gives you 5% back on your gas purchase. Plus you'll get better performance and you won't have to be concerned about those nasty deposits.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

Up till 100 I try to find the highest octane I can get my hands on, notmally its 98.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 11:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 88 420 SEL

SledDog,

are you an accountant?

not giving you a hard time - i really enjoyed your analytical approach to octane vs. $$ spent!

'88 420 SEL Daily Driver
'83 240D (Manual) SOLD, but always remembered
'83 240D (Auto) SOLD (parts car)
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 2005 C230WZ

[QUOTE]SledDog - 8/17/2004 9:16 PM

For the most part that is a true statement. There is more than one way to make a higher octane fuel and not every company uses the same recipe. The octane rating is really a ratio of octane, the stable component under pressure, to heptane, the unstable component or a mixture that gives you the equivalent performance of that ratio. One thing not really discussed in this thread is the fuel's sensitivity. A fuel with high sensivity would be one that behaves like a lower octane rating under stress. I imagine that this is more of a concern in areas that use RON instead of (R+M)/2. That's because a high RON fuel can have a low MON. That may be why the dealer recommended that Skipper use the 98 rating instead of 95 [based on some anecdotal experience].

QUOTE]

How would I find out what my fuel company is using? Sled dog, Id like to know more on this type of ratios and what is MON?
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 300SD
Send a message via AIM to FishOmatic Send a message via Yahoo to FishOmatic

i tried both Premium and Super but found that desiel fuel was still best for my 300SD
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)

Quote:
FishOmatic - 9/16/2004 5:42 PM

i tried both Premium and Super but found that desiel fuel was still best for my 300SD
I see you're the icebreaker here...a new one too...

[:D]

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Quote:
420SEL Realtor - 9/15/2004 10:50 PM

SledDog,

are you an accountant?

not giving you a hard time - i really enjoyed your analytical approach to octane vs. $$ spent!
Funny.... No because in my world all the numbers really do have to balance[:D].

Blast26, you might check your fuel company's website, some give out info like that, others don't. RON is Research Octane number which is measured under gentler conditions (lower RPM) than MON, the Motor Octane Number. RON is almost always higher than MON.

This is why Storm's comment doesn't apply [;)] (j/k) but really, his numbers are RON and will always sound higher and thus be more impressive[:D] while ultimately the fuel he uses may actually have an (R+M)/2 the same or even less than what we have in the states.

Fishomatic, at least you didn't bring up cetane ratings[:0]. I thought that the 300SD was a 300 from San Diego[:o)], or was it South Dakota?
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 04:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris

alltough your math is correct your thoughts are not, in the uk the fuel here is better quality than the usa which is reflected by the price ( we refine it better ) the usa dosnt really give a shit on emmisions but thats life[:)]
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris

storms comment does apply here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in