LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
It sounds like bribery to me. I used to go to the Mercedes dealer for warranty and regular repairs till about 3 years when the car was too old to make it worth it anymore, and I'd never thought about tipping anyone in the Service department, as frankly, the service wasn't particularly good, or cheap, and often it was bad, and often times extra unnecessary repairs were performed.

I'd contempate maybe a box of donuts or something on the front seat, or a letter to Corporate if some extraordinary service occurred (and actually have done it) but am irritated by non delivery/servers kind of people who expect this as some kind of entitlement.

I was never that loyal to any one particular dealer, because nothing was ever done to make me be. It was like being Diogenes with his lamp.

The description of New York where everyone has their hand out and expects a tip is disgusting. It sounds like some 3rd world countries I have visited.

At least in Peru the people really were underpaid, just scratching by, kind and helpful, and so grateful for tips.

New York City sounds horrible. I never wanted particularly to go there. Now I have another reason to stay away.

It would not surprise me if the police, firemen, plumbers, people who hold open a door for you, and everyone else you could think of, expected tips there.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jun 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bribes! LOL! guys you are truly missing the boat here..Any goodwill warranty that i attempt to have done has to be signed off by our service manager before it is done. Goodwill meaning out of warranty by a a couple of weeks or 1-2 months when the original warranty expired.When the customer gets a copy of the RO (repair order) it says GOODWILL REPAIR on it as well as what part was replaced etc. I see this thread has been blown completely out of context..Im from NY and this is what goes on regarding to tips..If you tip fine..If you dont thats fine also.Its so funny that people that dont live here or never been to NYC have the worst comments to say especially Cascade..well buddy if NY sounds so horrible than dont ever come here. plain and simple.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart1976 View Post
first of all to address a few of your comments..I recieve tips not only from high end clients but from average people as well..Most of these people tip because i will go above and beyond to help in any which way i can..Ive personally taken in cars that were out of warranty and goodwilled ALOT of big expensive repairs and people really appreciate it very much.
I don't know if this as a bribe or not but I think its not necessary. If you are doing a goodwill service for someone it should be because, in the interest of customer satisfaction, you felt the customer should not have experienced what they did and you will put it right. That's a great cs move and is the reason why people will come back in the future. If some people want to tip you for that, that's fine. I write letters to the President of MBNA praising the person who served me well (ask the guys at the parts counter at Rallye Motors).

Quote:
..Aslo there have been times that a person cant pick up a car for some unseen reason and i took it upon my self to deliver a car to them,..People who have never worked in a car service dealership dont know what goes on..most people think they drop off a car and pick it up later on..Please get your facts straight i DONT TELL people to go buy a honda or toyota i just mentioned that in a thread but i see it every day...
(okay, so like I said, maybe you were venting)

Quote:
..You have someone thats buying the car for the name and they cant afford repairs and such for example A or B services.They always say "oh my honda or toyota or lexus never cost so much to repair" well maybe they should have stuck to that brand..Thats all..And by the way to answer another one of your questions..yes i do work at a Mercedes Dealership..Our training is very intense and always have to do some new training up in Montvale headquarters..But in ending this different areas handle tips..all im saying is that in NY most people tip. You may feel you dont need to tip well thats you but dont try to insult Any service advisors according to you "money grubbing service advisors" we work very hard for what we have and really dont need to be insulted.
Stuart, you are over reacting - there was no insult. Go back and read my post; I said I was turned off by "a money grubbing service person" not money grubbing service persons. I too am in a service business (for 35 years) and respect people who are in the business because they desire an honorable way to make a living and they truly enjoy assisting others.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz rider View Post
ok, no disrespect to the benz mechanics in here, but you guys urk me sometimes. some of you(not all) like to fiddle with things under my car while it's on the rack for a simple oil change. all the wrenching and pulling at stuff under my car to either make something break or create a situation where it does break down the road is not neccessary. I don't need all the extra coaxing to leak my wallet either just because you "think" or "want" the control arm bushings to be changed. I don't mind you using a flashlight and eyeballing things to check for issues, but it's something about a mechanic's hands that make stuff break and come apart prematurely.

Now, the ones of you that get my car fixed and back to me fast are the one I write letters on citing good work and send it to your managers, which far exceeds a $5 tip for your lunch.

the parts and labor alone are enough. I feel the market needs more benz mechanics and shops with parts portside to cut down on the gross hike in the price of parts and labor to keep these cars on the road.

this is why I don't tip. forgive me.

Don't be so hard on the mechanics, I am meticulous about servicing all my own cars but there are times when, just by moving something or putting your hands somewhere, you cause a problem that was just waiting to happen. The mechanics are unforunately caught in a miserable world their dealer owners created. They look to the service department for entirely too much revenue and profit. They are mostly greedy entrepeneurs who look for every possible way to make money at the expense of their customers. Some people notice this and find another service solution. Others don't and the burden falls on them as the dealer puts more and more pressure on the service personnel to generate revenue.

IMO,the price of parts today is very heavily influenced by the weak dollar. When it costs more Greenbacks to buy parts from a German supplier, the price here goes up. The only way to change this is to have an impact on the strength of the US Dollar. We can thank our current administration for the weak dollar and the problems this brings.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Just a side note, weak dollar helps US exporters and US tourist industry.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have always assumed that any tips that might be expected are included in those hefty labor costs they charge...

Do you tip your service advisor ? - MBWorld.org Forums

Don't believe everything you think
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Bribes! LOL! guys you are truly missing the boat here..Any goodwill warranty that i attempt to have done has to be signed off by our service manager before it is done. Goodwill meaning out of warranty by a a couple of weeks or 1-2 months when the original warranty expired.When the customer gets a copy of the RO (repair order) it says GOODWILL REPAIR on it as well as what part was replaced etc. I see this thread has been blown completely out of context..Im from NY and this is what goes on regarding to tips..If you tip fine..If you dont thats fine also.Its so funny that people that dont live here or never been to NYC have the worst comments to say especially Cascade..well buddy if NY sounds so horrible than dont ever come here. plain and simple.
LOL I'm not your "buddy".

I would love to know what your salary structure is. What is it? Are you on 100&#37; commission?

If so, then it would certainly validate those stories you hear consistently about Service Advisorswho are always encouraging customers to get work done that they don't really need performed, to get more money from out of them, and you really DO hear that A LOT from Mercedes Benz dealer customers, (and customers at other non MB dealerships too- so where there is smoke, there's fire, - right? )

I certainly did, and I went to Mercedes dealers over 8 years for service after the warranty, and did give them a fair chance.

If you went personally out of your way to save me hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of work, by goodwilling a job that could have technically been charged, and it really happened, and I was convinced of your extaordinary efforts, I would feel very indebted to you, and I would pay you back in some way, either with some token like some gift, and yes perhaps even money, but likely a letter of appreciation directed at exactly the right place where I hope it would help your career.

However your closing comments above to me are most telling. As a result of them, I am assuming your true attitude, and that of many New Yorkers suggest to me the following:

NEVER come to New York

NEVER come to your dealership

NEVER come to you for help even if that dealership was selected.

Tipping ALWAYS seems an important, pivotal, issue, both in the Northeast and especially New York, from my casual observations, and what I have read here, and heard and seen elsewhere.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 12-10-2007 at 04:00 PM.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
However your closing comments above to me are most telling. As a result of them, I am assuming your true attitude, and that of many New Yorkers suggest to me the following:

NEVER come to New York

NEVER come to your dealership

NEVER come to you for help even if that dealership was selected.

Tipping ALWAYS seems an important, pivotal, both issue in the Northeast and especially New York, from my casual observations, and what I have read here, and heard and seen elsewhere.
I've lived and worked in New Yawk for over fity years and I can tell you that what you are referring to about tipping is overblown. We don't tip for anything more than what people tip for in other parts of the country. Trying to stay on topic, on a routine basis, I tip:
- haircutter
- chinese food delivery guy
- letter carrier
- waitress/waiter
- parking valet
- cab driver
- the kid who helps out when we buy a Christmas tree

Other than this list, for the most part, I would only tip others for extraordinary service. Contrary to popular belief you DON'T tip like a madman in NY. And by the way, come visit us some time, the city is safe and you will have a wonderful time.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1995 s500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't go to the dealer very often for service. I prefer to use my indy mechanic. When I did go to the dealer, I received good service and gave him a gift certificate to a restauraunt. I left it with 1 of his co-workers. He called me the next day and thanked me for it.

I give my indy mechanic a case of Coke, Pepsi, stuff like that whenever I take my cars in. It's a small shop, but everybody can get some. Last year I gave them some tickets to a theme park that I get for free. I don't give money. I think these types of tips are better. It's not a lot of money, but it can go a long way in terms of service received IMO.

Last edited by trimaster1; 12-10-2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
Contrary to popular belief you DON'T tip like a madman in NY. And by the way, come visit us some time, the city is safe and you will have a wonderful time.
I'm sure it is nice, but tell me this - is it one rat for every resident, or 12 rats for every resident? And why can't they figure out whether it's one rat or 12 rats for every resident? Eight million rats or 96 million rats - that's a big difference. What's wrong with the rat population estimating process in NY? Just kidding, it is a great city, lived there for 10 years, lots of myths about the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in