LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1977 280SE Transmission Problem

I'm not sure if my transmission died on me but last night the car was driving fine at normal speed, 300 rpm. Suddenly it starts to jerk, rpm shoots to 5000 then I lost power. Got lucky I was able to pull over the side of the freeway. I Checked the dipstick and there was like maybe an inch-a-half level of t. oil in it. Cant really tell which groove is the high and low lev limits cause there's too many grooves on the stick. Anyway, whenever I try to start the car it just humms and purr but it seems like it just doesn't want to go anywhere even on reverse.
So do I have a dead tranny or is it just a matter of a brken linkage or leaking vacuum lime. Please help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris
RE: 1977 280SE Transmission Problem

check if the prop/drive shafts are ok, it odd for the gearbox to just give up like that
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Wow, so there's a possibility my tranny is still ok. Prop/dive shafts I'll check. Thanks for the tip. So a leaking vacuum line is out of the question? Also another thing, my gears are not really well pronounced. Am I suppose to hear or feel clicks everytime I change gears?

All your input's well appreciated.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

i had a prop go on me once also a drive shaft it stripped the splines you could hear it change gear but it just stood there, worth a look
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Ok, thanks. Hey Teky, I just read this one from the net, they're talking about manual transmission, but is this applicable too for auto trans? I've cut and pasted thearticle for you to read. Thanks again. It's quite long, I'm sorry. I just need all the help I can get!!!

While parking my manual trans 280 SL the other evening, the transmission misbehaved. I heard a "pop," then something in the linkage immediately went awry - the shifter went all floppy and refuses to go into any gear, though the clutch pedal is normal and there is no loss of fluid. A fellow owner told me he thinks the culprit is some kind of nylon bushing that sits above the transmission. Can anyone shed some light on this and will I have to drop the transmission to get at the part?

When I first got my 230 SL 5-speed, it had the same problem - I took it in to my mechanic and he fixed it pretty quickly. He called it the shifter bushing. He didn't have to drop the transmission to fix it.

If the bushings are your problem, the fix is fairly easy: Remove the carpeting covering the transmission tunnel, remove the three plates screwed into the tunnel, replace the bushings in the shifter linkage. All the work is done from inside the car. The parts are inexpensive.

When replacing the bushings, I found that the plastic is quite hard at room temperature and that if you place the bushing in a cup of water and warm it up in a microwave oven (do not boil) it will go on easily with a little white lithium grease.

Will Samples says: all work on the shifter bushings for a manual transmission is done from inside the car. It is a straightforward job, takes about 1-2 hours depending on your skill level, how skinny you are, and how much you want to restore the unseen linkage rods. You need normal hand tools and open/box end wrenches. Never heard of one that stopped shifting. Sloppy shifting and inability to go into reverse, yes, but never a complete loss. It helps to look at the shift linkage in the picture parts catalog that came with the car.

Pete Lesler: no you do not need to drop the transmission. I believe the bolt holding the shift lever to the main shift tube has fallen out. Even if all your bushings were bad, you could still engage gears. Simply remove your transmission tunnel carpet, then pull up the shift lever rubber boot, then you can see four ten mm nuts which hold down a plastic cover plate and some lower plates. Once these are removed you might see the problem. There is also a plate further forward on the transmission tunnel which gives you access to the front bushings. I would renew all bushings at the same time. All of the reputable parts sellers have the bushings.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

completly different for the auto tranny, thats common on the manual trannys and an easy fix not so with the auto im afraid m8 normaly its a rape the wallet thing[:(]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

I guess I'll start with checking the prop/drive shafts first. I'll be off from work soon and can't wait to get my coveralls on so I can check what's up with my MB. Thanks and I'll be checking on the BW forum tomorrow if you and anybody else out there's got more tips for me to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in