post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2002 C32 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DVD over COMAND option?

Anyone ever try one of these? Looks like it might provide a simple option for DVD viewing over COMAND:

http://www.navwithtv.com/product.asp?specific=jnnnmsf0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 02:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: W203 modified
Send a message via MSN to miroj Send a message via Skype™ to miroj
RE: DVD over COMAND option?

If you source a used TV tuner out of Germany and find a seller of the cables and antenna you can have the proper OEM solution. Sure it might cost a little more but you wouldnt be paying through the nose for a piece of equipment that looks like it was made in a garden shed.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

So that means you've used one?

And I find it hard to believe that you truly believe the $500 they're advertising this thing can be considered "paying thru the nose" when the Euro COMAND is $1200, then you have to find all the rest of the stuff you listed.

It was a simple question, perhaps it was unclear?

Considering the lack of information on their site I wanted to know if anyone else had tried the product. For that matter, someone else may have found the information interesting and worth looking into.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 05:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Peench - 6/28/2004 4:08 PM

So that means you've used one?

And I find it hard to believe that you truly believe the $500 they're advertising this thing can be considered "paying thru the nose" when the Euro COMAND is $1200, then you have to find all the rest of the stuff you listed.

It was a simple question, perhaps it was unclear?

Considering the lack of information on their site I wanted to know if anyone else had tried the product. For that matter, someone else may have found the information interesting and worth looking into.
A broadcast quality (600 lines or more) RGB to CVBS interface doesnt come in a black plastic box. It comes in a metal can with solid RF shielding and a earth point.

What appears to be worth $500 isnt worth $500. You would be better off seeking a non-automotive supplier for such technology. Any high-end AV provider can source a decent signal converter.

You then have the problem of finding space for such an item.

In other words ...... call it a Mercedes converter and suddenly its 3X the price for no great reason. The idea isnt new at all, its the silly price.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Miroj

You seem to know alot about these things that this company is apparently marketing as a mercedes converter. Care to elaborate any further on them?

The majority of what you posted seems to assume that I know everything you are talking about. As I said, there was not very much information on the site about the product which is why I was asking for more information. Since the technology isn't new, can you explain what it does that is so simple and silly? Thanks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I used to build these things when I was doing my first degree. It was my hobby. The signal from the DVD is converted into RGB for the comand. That is all it does.

Lots of projectors needed this type of converter (before they became very common).

What you want is a Composite and/or S-Video converter to RGB (RGBS where S = Sync) output.

From there you need a cable one each end. One to match the COMAND side and one to match the DVD side.

Its really not that difficult. But its not MERCEDES at all. its just an electronics box with a cable for mercedes on one side.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Miroj,

I don't recall the website claiming they were mercedes, merely that it would work on a COMAND.

Have you made these devices for a Mercedes? If so, what all did it take internall in terms of wiring, etc?

As an aside, I'd like to be able to tie in the aftermarket DVD player in my wife's car to her navigation screen so that when she puts on the movies for our kids she doesn't have to guess whether she's pressing the right menu button to get the movie to start. She's got an MDX. Do you know of any products that might be able to help me out in that regard.

Frankly the COMAND screen on my C32 is too small to be of any use anyhow. If want DVD in there I'd rather install an aftermarket unit and get a better screen and while I'm at it upgrade the pathetically lacking navigation of the COMAND. My main thought was that something might exist that we could use in my wife's car. Thanks for your help and explanations.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

Peench,
I haven't a clue what miroj is talking about - he seems to know something about video, but I think he's off topic here - for example, a plain German TV tuner wouldn't do much for us in SD since we don't use PAL (and I'm sure our spectrum is different as well). If it had a video in, it would probably be a SCART connector, which wouldn't help us much either - just something else you'd have to deal with. Resolution is a funky thing too. A converter like this can't really be spec'd by its "resolution", it has to put out a signal that conforms to the standard, and of course, the converter should degrade the signal as little as possible.

You know I haven't used one of these particular converters and without spec's can't tell exactly what it does - I can't even tell for sure if it is plastic from that photo.

The guts of a converter like this needs to take the signal you provide - in our case NTSC of some form - and convert it to the format used by the display. If the formats are not dimensionally the same, the signal also needs to be scaled. In most converters all of this is done with one or two chips these days. Now, if it is interactive with the controls on the Command, it would also need a control interface for that as well.

I noticed these guys also had something that sounded like it would work in your MDX for about the same price. Did you talk to the guys over at La Jolla audio to see if they have anything.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

SledDog,

Thanks for the info and response. I didn't notice anything on their site about the MDX, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I hadn't talked to La Jolla Audio about it, but that's a good place to start. I imagine there is something out there that would do what I want to do.

Thanks!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:14 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG

No problem. Well, the box they have isn't listed as MDX specific, it's listed as a universal converter, http://www.navwithtv.com/group.asp?grp=24 its at the bottom of the page.

So, do you need to be able to see the video on the nav screen of the MDX? Depending on the video system you are using, I bet there is some easy way to make sure the right button was pressed - add a button for easier control, mount one of those "car seat" mirrors so you can see what is on the display, or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in