Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SUV and SL ban?

780 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pv0463 
#1 ·
I saw on the Internet the other day that Paris may ban SUVs. The London and Paris mayors said that folks are idiots when they buy SUVs. I also read that the green party is trying to ban SUVs in California.

Well, I was wondering what they thought about SL and SLK owners since they can only hold 2 people. You can carry more people and stuff with a SUV as compare to the SLK and SL class.

#2 ·
i think here in the UK the SUV is considered a monster truck but we like them anyway our roads are too narrow petrol prices too high, most cars in the UK are small in size compared to the SUV and any other american motor so half a dozed SUVs in london square would be considered a road block and in the villages it would be considered an invation [:D]

G
#3 ·
Tiggerfink.

Since SUV's are heavier they use more
gasoline,increasing the demand for gasoline.
Also this means that they put more polution in
the air.

Most European cities where founded during
a time that horse drawn carriages where the
only means of transportation.
This makes the streets very narrow and not
very well suited for big bulky SUV's.

Also parking spaces are based on the
smaller European cars.
SUV's would need to take up 2 spaces just
to fit,making for even more parking problems
on top of those that already exist.

One other consideration is that altough a
SUV is very safe,others cars(read small cars)
are more likely to have fatalities in case
of a crash with a SUV.

Just my 0.02

Louis.

#5 ·
I find it somewhat puzzling and rather appalling. Everyone in the world seems to hate the "ugly" Americans and their "pompous", "hollier than thou" attitudes. Yet, the idea of a very large, obnoxiously gas-thirsty monster on wheels (SUV), born in the US, seems to be taking hold everywhere. Is the SUV marketing really that effective?
Nothing that comparatively speaking dwarfs a 5-series BMW should be considered a logical alternative for family transportation.
I know that the Land Rovers, Range Rovers, the G-Class, etc. have been around for quite some time, but their numbers made them an oddity, not the norm. I wish people would wise up and start driving inherently safer and much more fun automobiles. There are a lot of sports sedans out, and there should be a lot more sports cars, too. I mean, come on, a Porsche SUV?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.