Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wheel Refacing

864 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MLMoose 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently assumed a lease on an '02 slk32. Love the car!

Unfortunately, the first time I picked up the car from my new monthly spot in the parking lot the rims were all scratched up ( I flipped out). The car was sent to a shop complimenets of the parking lot to repair the wheels. They are going to reface/refinish them.

I've never done this b/4. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect my wheels to look like after they're fixed up? THe place is saying they'll look like new, but I'm looking for opinions from you guys.

If anyone can post b/4 and after pictures of this kind of repair, or share an experience, that'd be great.

Thanx much.
(also posted this on the 171 forum)

#2 ·
I just replaced one wheel and had the other refinished. The dealer sent the repairable one to Wheels America (www.fixrim.com). The repaired wheel is adequate, but not as good as the replacement OEM wheel. The paint on the repaired wheel isn't uniformly smooth or as deep looking, but if you didn't compare them side by side, you would hardly notice. They look fine; it's just the closer inspection that reveals the flaws. I klunked my tire gauge against the repaired wheel a couple of days ago, and it left a slight nick. The wheel damage itself was repaired very well (if they actually repaired my wheel and didn't exchange it for another wheel). There's not as much lip on the edge of the wheel to mount the balancing weights. The repaired wheel is balanced with tape weights inside the rim. You might want to check the price of a new wheel. If the price isn't that much, I'd go with a new one. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.