Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

190D 2.2 purchase question?

933 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  langpfeife 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I tend to help a lot of people with vintage vehicles and what not, but since I am not as experience with the more modern ones, that's why I am posting here.

Times are hard with gas since I run two 4.5L V8 Merc's and a car has really caught my eye and I will be travelling 3 hours to see it.

It is a 1985 190D 2.2.

It has 260,000 Kms/162,000 miles on it.

Leather interior in good condition that is "fully loaded". The body has no rust on it. He said that it was "very rare".

All this for $3,900 CDN/2,896 US

What I want to know is are the 190's a good car? Anyone have extensive experience with them and the diesel engine? Does it sound like a good solid buy? Are the rust perforation techniques significantly improved from the W123?

Any comments welcome, really!

Thanks a million in advance!

Tory

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a great car, a little slow but very quiet, reliable and economical. If it has a 5-speed manual, highway
economy is fantastic. Like all MB diesels with aluminium heads, they are sensitive to overheating but
otherwise can last as long as the older engines. Generally they are relatively trouble-free, I've seen a
few that needed noisy hydraulic lifters replaced, but that's not really a big issue. Rust proofing is superior
to the W123. Handling is also phenomenal thanks in part to the multilink rear suspension (first seen on the
W201 and WAY ahead of BMW at the time.)

If it checks out and you like it I say go for it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.