LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'86 300 E A/C PERFORMANCE

I own an '86 300 E with 60,000 miles on it (second owner) but the A/C system is a mess. Several a/c shops point out to poor perfomance on these cars as "typical for this model" due to R-12 to R-134 conversion. I changed exp. valve, dryer, hoses, cleaned out evaporator, replaced condenser and still ranges above 80 F on hot days (runs fair on nights). I live in a tropical island with ave. temperature above 88, up to 100 in summer with heat factor around 113 F. What should I do next?... I think it is a matter of engineering instead of replacing parts. Anyone willing to share expertise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: '86 300 E A/C PERFORMANCE

Seems like a very hot country you're at. Don't replace parts if it doesn't work. Try a few things. Should scout around for a nippon denso compressor that can be modify slightly to fit yr car. Preferably, a unit from a Toyota Crown or Land cruisers. Next, try looking around for a condenser from also a crown if it can fit to your front end. Lastly, the blower must be able to displace(blow out) the cold air before it freezes up the evaporator. If you can add on a better fan the better the dissipation of heat from the condenser. It's trial and error, but better A/C guys will have more than enough ideas to fix your A/C. Usually, the problem is two things. One, condenser not dissipating enough heat away. And two, compressor losing compression due to wear and tear, or compressor under size for us living in hot country. Some A/C guys carries premium lubricants for A/C compressors, that can lubricate your comp. and in the same time fill up gaps from wear to regain some compressions. But anyway, you should also try and modify the thermostat, yours maybe cutting out the compressor to early. Happy trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in