LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 04 C230 WZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: HELP!!!!

checking the fluid at the dip stick will not provid a good analisys of fluid condition.must drop the tranny pan. any particles are going to settle to the pan bottom.

2004 Mars red C230 sport sedan
modifications=stock as a rock

1997 Ford SVT COBRA
modification=COBRA R model rims front 17x9 17x10.5 rear with NITTO race tires 275/40ZR17Y and 315/35ZR17Y
stock brakes with HAWK HPS plus brake pads
adjustabul suspension struts and shocks front and rear.tubular suspension control arms with custom urethane bushings and heim joints
blue printed and rebuild rear axle with upgraged posi track and 4:10.1 rear gears.Lots of shinny things under the hood and a strange wistling sound.
And the list goes on and on and on and on.......
Currently motor is out of car due to factory pistons not likeing 600hp and 15lbs of boost. Being rebuilt with the target of 730hp this time with better parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Its just very weird its like when i take off it shifts at about 2500 rpms and it takes about 4 seconds to finally finish shifting. the car doesnt feel any different other than faster acceleration because of the rpms being so high i was told by a mercedes repair man to just buy a new one he never looked at the car himself he said that it was going out and i didnt even really tell him anything about it other than it shifts too late so he wanted me to buy a 3500 transmission so im sure he lied just to make a sale
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

If you could give me directions on how to saftly do that i would be ever so greatful.. i was going to do that today but i was afrid because i have no clue what to do..i have a repair book on my transmission but it left me in the dark ! thanks soo much
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

4 seconds to complete a shift ouch. My best guess so far is the tranny is leaking internaly.whats going on it the clutch pack piston seals are leaking pressure. these clutches are applies by hydraulic pressure provided by a internal pump in the tranny.when you increase the rpm you are able to spin the pump faster and push more fluid volume. this then raises main line pressure as well from whats called the throttle valve. this increase of pressure is then able to overcome the leaks to the point of completing the shift.this is also whats is causing the tranny to drop down in gears.with out going into a very lenghty explination of how a tranny works.
dropping the pan will probably reveal dark black to brown coloring with brown and brass sludging on pan bottom.
tranny fluid is like mineral oil it has a very low surface tension and is very translucent.even when burnt it will be clear looking unless you look at a small volume of it.
sorry for the bad news options are go to a good independentt bens shop and price a rebuilt unit with labor(comes with usually 1yr 12k miles warrenty) or a reseal with new frictions.both options will need a new torque converter as it is impossibly to completely flush out all old impureties.

1997 Ford SVT COBRA
modification=COBRA R model rims front 17x9 17x10.5 rear with NITTO race tires 275/40ZR17Y and 315/35ZR17Y
adjustabul suspension struts and shocks front and rear.tubular suspension control arms with custom urethane bushings and heim joints
blue printed and rebuild rear axle with upgraged posi track and 4:10.1 rear gears.Lots of shinny things under the hood and a strange wistling sound.
Currently motor is out of car due to factory pistons not likeing 600hp and 15lbs of boost. Being rebuilt with the target of 730hp this time with better parts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Well tomorrow i'm going to a friend of mine who own and sales mercedes.. and see what he says and price some transmission .. and i think i may just go to the benz dealership and look for a 90s model E300D turbodiesel and drive that untill i can have my car compleatly restored
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

if need be you may be able to limp around but don't push your luck to much. if you do still want to drop the pan and have a look for giggles and grins,you never know.pm me and i will give you my cell number or you can give me yours.I have free long distance.

1997 Ford SVT COBRA
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Hey thanks again for all your help ..you can email your number to me @ morganwillhelm@msn.com and we can email back and forth also... again thanks for everything !! hope to hear from you soon
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

compare prices and value with dealer vs independent.
if you have a friend in a dealer who can get you a deal,can't beat that.dealers have lates and greatest parts and service info, but like every thing else knowlage is only as good as the person using it.shop around before buying.some place may cost more but service is better.I've spent many years and thousands of dollars dealing with both factory parts and aftermarkt.

1997 Ford SVT COBRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in