Am I expecting too much from the Starmark Certification Process ? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Am I expecting too much from the Starmark Certification Process ?
Yes, your expectations are too high! 9 100.00%
No, you should expect the dealership to stand behind MB's Starmark Product! 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Am I expecting too much from the Starmark Certification Process ?

Well if it is a inside windshield radar detector then the UV glass that Mercedes uses on the S-class blocks the detector from working.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I have always maintained in previous posts that CPO (or Star-Mark) was just a sales gimmick and a hunk of %^$#! They tried to sell me my ML 430 with a Star-Mark and I found a minor accident with Car-Fax involving the rear hatch (which still rattles!) and the bumper. There was no body filler but they had to repaint the left rear door, quarter panel and rear hatch with new bumper.

While the vehicle was in near mint condition, the oil had not been changed in over 20,000 miles! The filter was completely clogged with sludge. It took 3 consecutive oil changes about 3500 miles apart to clean the engine and pan where the oil now looks good after 5000 miles. The CD changer that had been replaced under warranty in 2001 had been switched out by the dealer as well. Yeah, rigorous inspection my arse! I wouldn't trust them AT ALL!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 12:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2005

In the message from CSing the guy from MB stated:
“To clarify again, only frame damage would preclude a vehicle from Starmark Certification." This is BS.

Unibody vehicles do not have frames. The frame has been replaced by a structure made up of the entire body of the vehicle. M-B has not built a car with a frame that I can think of, for well over 50 years.

There is no such thing as "frame damage" on a unibody vehicle. However, there are many things that could be wrong with a car that could be construed as structural damage.

No matter what happens to us with the idiots at some of the dealers or the people sending replies to e-mails that they read in a lawyer written manual, these are still the best and most reliable cars built today.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 05:14 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe

"The Starmark Certified vehicle I bought had been seriously damaged before I bought it. The independently owned and operated Mercedes-Benz dealer sold the vehicle to me using deceptive tactics."

I spotted a 97 S600 coupe on the used section of the Contemporary Cars lot two years ago (Maitland/Orlando).
After a little haggling with the used car salesman (he insulted my wife)I had the service dept. check out the car ($225) and they told me basically it was sound (no remarks). I proceeded to work out a $32K buy price.
A few days later I noticed that the front end of the car seemed to be lower than normal (I scraped the bottom front bumper on a curb).
I went back to the service dept. and asked them if this was normal.
They looked at it and told me that the springs were bad.
Amazed and frustrated, I had to discuss this with the owner of the dealership to get 50% back for the repair (after threats of legal action). Totally unacceptable. I also had about $8,000 repairs that year, and I sold the car. Just bought another one though as I think this model is amazing.
I don't trust ANYTHING MBenz is doing. The original post here, on a 97, describes a scenario that I would not want to find out about and that should have been disclosed. Benz dealers have stooped to the same deceptive and unsavory tactics as the base used car seller. I have reasoned that the only way to buy a Benz and sleep well at night is to lease a new one for three years and pray that all the issues are solved under warranty. I am not even sure about that.
On another note:
Fields BMW in nearby Winter Park sold me an X5 with extended manufaturers warranty. Have been perfectly happy with the car except: when I took it to Mobil to do an oil change they informed me that the car had not had a change since apparently new (23K when purchased) and it was extremely low, took two changes to get it back to normal, engine flush, etc. I was furious about this. Assuming that the dealer would make sure I was getting at least a clean running engine with their extended warranty, I was flabbergasted and complained. Similar response given as Benz sample above.
I have a 740il, 1998, and it runs like it was first manufactured. No issues of any kind except AC failed on third year under warranty and was replaced. I am convinced of BMW quality over MB.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: