Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Head gasket E320 W210 1996 help required.

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  RED 97 COBRA 
#1 ·
My wifes car was leaking oil from the front right of the engine by no cylinder, so remove head fit new genuine gaskets and away we go or so i thought!
The leak came back remove head again send for skimming, new gasket set, new head bolts and reassemble lovely or not.
One week later the leak is back .
Torque figures used 55nm plus 90 deg plus 90 deg.
Head and block were spotless before reassembly.
Apparently this is/was a common prob with the straight six and Mercs have modded the gasket several times to cure this.
I am at a loss as to what to do next.
Any help appreciated.

Lynall

#2 ·
The problem you are having sounds like the lower u-shaped gasket to the front cover.there is a few special tricks to get this to seal correctly.when you say you modded the gasket, what do you mean and what gasket in the set did you do this to?

#3 ·
Mr Cobra
I have done nothing to the gasket what i meant was Mercedes have modified the head gasket in an attempt to cure the oil leaks.
To fit the green u shaped seal i put some sealant onto the ends that touch the cylinder head and fitted this making sure it was secure ie would not move as i fitted the top cover, then having lubricated the lower part of the timing cover i pressed this down so i only has to slide it in approx 1/4 inch until it was home it all felt good as i did this.
I have since read some posts advising there is a special Mercedes sealant for this job.
Does it sound like i have fitted it correctly?, In a way i am pleased it is possibly only timing chest as this is a lot less work to sort out.

Lynall

#4 ·
It sounds as if you did every thing correctly.Here is where the problem lies.when fitting the front cover and sliding it back that last 1/4 inch,there is a friction fit between the gasket and cover.this is of course how it seals.(not that you don't know this,just laing gound work for explination).this interference causes the front center portion of the gasket to roll out of the groove.To get around this there are to tricks I use when rebuilding these motors.
Make sure all sealing sufaces are clean i.e. no old gasket material of oil residue.

applie a good dap of silicone,(use the mercedes stuff it comes in a white tube and looks like a mini caulk gun tube cost about $12.00. I can provide a part number if nessary.)place in each corner where lower cover meets cylinder head before appling gasket

put three drops of super glue in seal groove.on at each front corner and one in the middle.then set your gasket and wait about 5min.

now apply some vasiline to top of gasket and bottom front cover.you will now be able to install cover, but still be careful.

another method insteag of glueing gasket in place is to follow all steps up to application of glue but instead. set the gasket in place. applie vasiline to top of gasket and bottom of front cover. take a peive of old micro fiche of transparrency for a overhead projector, (can be purchased at walmart)cut to a size of about 4 inches wide and slightly longer than the cover.place film on top of gasket between cover. this will provide a sliding surface so not to roll gasket. now install cover as usual.

I personaly prefer to glue method, it's more secure and if you need to remove it in the future the gasket and glue just peel right out.

hope this helps

[:)]

#5 ·
Forgot to add this. before installing front cove. turn it upside down so you can see the surface that the u shaped gaskets seals on. on that surface where it buts up against the cylinder head you will see a small groove machined into it on each side.apply a dab of silicone sealant there as well as the surface that backs up to the cylinder head. this applies to either method you choose to use for instalation.

I do appologize for the step by step info. I do realize that you do have above average mechanical abilities to tackle a task like this, but I do realize that some people that have never worked on there car might be reading this so I tried to be less general but not to specific.

Before you do tear into your car again make sure this is indeed where it is leaking. If you use a inspection mirror, (can get a sears for about $3-$8 dollars) you can see this lower front cover gasket.

#6 ·
Mr. COBRA hmm sounds catchy
names David

#8 ·
David aka Mr Cobra
I stripped timing chest and rebuilt all was okay But whilst camchain tensioner assy removed i noticed the large alloy washer was damaged only a small nick whether i dropped it or damaged it some other way i do not know. And as the tensioner is tensioned by oil pressure this was the source of my leak.
Replaced washer and not a drop of oil has left the engine talk about pleased!
Ps the two washers and the tensioner piston circlip cost 0.90 pence!

Thank
Lynall

#9 ·
Glad to see that everything worked out ok.Me personaly I dont even take the tensioner out when doind head gaskets on 104 series engines, I have a little secret for that too. Did you find any of the methods for reinstalling the front cover useful,or did you come up with another way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.