BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: W220 S500 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: A pic of the new S-class

Quote:
E V12 Nerd - 5/19/2004 7:26 PM
Come on, the 220 is a total lemon, I mean, the 140 had its problems, but the 220 is horrible. The 220 is tiny, they might as well put an S-class badge on the back of a 211.
Had to disagree here...
I happened to own '93 and '96 W140 ('93 500SEL was my company's car I happened to use as needed [:D]).
Regarding reliability - most of W140s I know (a number of friends of mine still riding those) - are much, much worse than MY01 and up W220... Considering that W140 in mid and late '90s were a far primitive (regarding electric/electronic components only, the engine and Powertrain was great - no doubt!), they still were at service shop at least twice as often as newer W220 (MY00 was not a good year - introduction [:)])

Regarding S-Class badge, you can also attach it to KIA and lawnmower if you wish... [:0]

W220 is much more stylish and sporty IMO
Regarding size W140 vs. W220:
Length: 2.1 in longer
Width: 1.2 in wider
Height: 2.0 in higher
Curb Weight: 697 lbs (!!!) heavier
And so forth…
All of these resizing made W220 much sportier and agile to compare with W140.
Again I did like the look and feel W140 but excessive electrical problems, wider turning circle, terrible fuel economy did not work well for me…
Since W220 was introduced I fell in love with it (luckily, could not afford it then back in ’99-’00)!
Many people did not like W220 since the beginning – that’s a fact (even many of my friends back then).
Both W140 and W220 are excellent cars and represent different and unique characters.
W220 is more advanced (of course) technologically and has flawless design style IMO that is more suited for people like me…

<hr>Life's too short not to drive a Mercedes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
DMI+RY - 5/19/2004 6:04 PM

Quote:
E V12 Nerd - 5/19/2004 7:26 PM
Come on, the 220 is a total lemon, I mean, the 140 had its problems, but the 220 is horrible. The 220 is tiny, they might as well put an S-class badge on the back of a 211.
Had to disagree here...
I happened to own '93 and '96 W140 ('93 500SEL was my company's car I happened to use as needed [:D]).
Regarding reliability - most of W140s I know (a number of friends of mine still riding those) - are much, much worse than MY01 and up W220... Considering that W140 in mid and late '90s were a far primitive (regarding electric/electronic components only, the engine and Powertrain was great - no doubt!), they still were at service shop at least twice as often as newer W220 (MY00 was not a good year - introduction [:)])

Regarding S-Class badge, you can also attach it to KIA and lawnmower if you wish... [:0]

W220 is much more stylish and sporty IMO
Regarding size W140 vs. W220:
Length: 2.1 in longer
Width: 1.2 in wider
Height: 2.0 in higher
Curb Weight: 697 lbs (!!!) heavier
And so forth…
All of these resizing made W220 much sportier and agile to compare with W140.
Again I did like the look and feel W140 but excessive electrical problems, wider turning circle, terrible fuel economy did not work well for me…
Since W220 was introduced I fell in love with it (luckily, could not afford it then back in ’99-’00)!
Many people did not like W220 since the beginning – that’s a fact (even many of my friends back then).
Both W140 and W220 are excellent cars and represent different and unique characters.
W220 is more advanced (of course) technologically and has flawless design style IMO that is more suited for people like me…

The only way the gas mileage improved was because the new engines are crap. Go to both the W140 and 220 forums and find out for yourself that in general, more people complain about the 220, or is that just because they are mass-produced?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
E V12 Nerd - 5/19/2004 9:15 PM
The only way the gas mileage improved was because the new engines are crap. Go to both the W140 and 220 forums and find out for yourself that in general, more people complain about the 220, or is that just because they are mass-produced?
The old S-Class was among the world's most refined automobiles, but it had a Germanic formalness that was never truly inviting. One felt more admiration than aspiration. Not so the refined new S-Class.
The Mercedes Benz W220 is a remarkable work of art. Its redesigned body looks much sleeker and better than the previous models.
W220 is still very Teutonic in design, clearly expensive, but far less imperious. It is a much warmer, inviting and contemporary vehicle, softer and, yes, even sensuous. The S500 is now more than just a car you'd like to be seen in. Now it looks like one that would be fun to drive.
The old S-Class was the definition of overkill.

Regarding the Engine changes and cutting that monstrous fuel consumption by W140 V8s:
8 years of Mercedes-Benz engineering were not wasted in engine improving department. [:)]

And yes, complaints you are trying to refer to - somewhat valid...
But!!! You probably unfamiliar or pretend to forget that W140 was the worst German car of the '90s (and the worst MB in history) in reliability records. Yet hopefully that will remain as the only unreliable card from MB.
And again, I liked in its time W140 and enjoyed very much owning it (save all the headaches in service department) But!!! It’s totally useless to overcome some obvious facts…
W220 MY01 and up - too far advanced and refined and way beyond comparison with W140 that slowly becomes a classic car…

[:D]

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

RE:W140 vs W220

This is a nice review for old school boys [:)]:
http://www.*****************/s500.htm

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2004

Had to disagree here...
Regarding reliability - most of W140s I know (a number of friends of mine still riding those) - are much, much worse than MY01 and up W220...

keyword being "most you know" which doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the entire production.

Considering that W140 in mid and late '90s were a far primitive (regarding electric/electronic

sometimes "primitive" is better when it comes to GERMAN cars. They don't quite match the japs when it comes to electronics. Somethings are better left SIMPLE.

components only, the engine and Powertrain was great - no doubt!), they still were at service shop at least twice as often as newer W220 (MY00 was not a good year - introduction [:)])

My 1999 S420 hasn't been to the shop except for maintenance. Than again the 2000+ S class I drove last yr had CHINTZY plastic all over the interior and was no match for the w140 in BUILD quality. Which most agree were the years when MB had a blank checkbook to build 'em. But MB needs to get in the game with Lexus at Lexus prices hence the CHEAPENING of the product.

[:0]
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

The Mercedes Benz W220 is a remarkable work of art.

In YOUR eyes.....wink

Its redesigned body looks much sleeker and better than the previous models.

Read up...

W220 is still very Teutonic in design, clearly expensive, but far less imperious. It is a much warmer, inviting and contemporary vehicle, softer and, yes, even sensuous.

THis is too funny -- I think a Porsche Boxter is more suited to you. Warm, inviting, softer and also known as a Porsche with PANTIES.

The S500 is now more than just a car you'd like to be seen in. Now it looks like one that would be fun to drive.
The old S-Class was the definition of overkill.

Yeah overkill in a POSITIVE way. Funny I enjoy the hell out of driving my "primitive" w140.

And yes, complaints you are trying to refer to - somewhat valid...
But!!! You probably unfamiliar or pretend to forget that W140 was the worst German car of the '90s (and the worst MB in history) in reliability records. Yet

Lets not EXAGERRATE too much now. EARLY W140s had evap problems -- corrected in later models. As for problems I recall the 2000 s500s had their share of 'em. One being its LOOKS. ;-)

W220 MY01 and up - too far advanced and refined and way beyond comparison with W140 that slowly becomes a classic car…

A "classic" in your mind....

[:D]
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 07:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Tonyny

I feel your pain...
W140 introduced a dozen years ago (if you remember).
It's almost antique [:D]

That was a beautiful car - no doubt. But that time is history and W220 is much better successor IMO.
[:)]

RE: W140 repairs, MY93 500SEL was in the shop almost on bi-weekly (mostly electrical problems). Some components were replaced 7 times (!) during the 3-year lease. Yet we didn’t use that car much (returned with about 30K mi in 39 months).
MY96 S500 was better regarding repairs – but once every two months I had to drive a loaner due to electrical failures…
W220 MY00 had some flaws. MY01 and later models are better quality with a fewer issues.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

[QUOTE]DMI+RY - 5/24/2004 9:49 PM

Tonyny

I feel your pain...
W140 introduced a dozen years ago (if you remember).
It's almost antique [:D]

No pain -- big smile everytime I drive it. As for antiques -- gimme a 540k roadster any day. [8D]Actually I suspect Bangle has a brother who conspired with BMW to screw up the looks of the newer s class. I'm considering a 2001 750il -- not because I'm unhappy with the w140 but because I want something sportier. The post e38 BMWS, like its cousins at MB, have nothing but electronic gremlins. Its a tossup which is uglier in MY book. Is it true you can comb your hair in all that plastic? [:D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in