LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
RAF
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here we go again...another long one, haha...

What is up my fellow Benz World buddies!!

You know, I couldn't come back to this forum without some grand ol' story, so I titled this one
"Life" A twisted trip

Get this, remember that 91' 350 SDL that I won on Ebay? Well, the seller decided that the winning bid was too low, so he refused to sell it to me. I tried to get Ebay involved, but I didn't get very far. They said, "Take him to court, we are not a legal justice system". I wasn't prepared to spend all that time and effort for a vehicle... what was I going to do? Have a Judge in another state rule that this person, by contract, has to sell me his car... I'm sure sawdust in the tranny would go a long way for me!!! (who knows what people could do now a days). So technically I am still not a "Bonafied" Benz World member...yet!!

How about that!

Well, life goes on to bigger and better things... so again, "I NEED YOUR HELP"...

I have had some luck finding 300 SDLs around, but they are not in the condition that I would prefer, so I have passed up a few. I don't think I want to restore one, I was looking for one that... well, didn't need much, but fuel and ME!!!!

First, I'm I expecting too much? Is it going to be like a search for the holy grail? I mean, these 300 SDLs run fine, but have small (that's what the sellers tell me, but I feel they're a big deal) things wrong with them. For example, the upholstery is torn, stained, or just looks funky. Another one, you have to wiggle the key after the vehicle is started to turn on the A/C. ???? I figure, these things are just the basics and I'm supposed to trust you on the biggies like the engine and transmission? I don't know.... any comments?? next item...

By total accident I found a Rolls Royce/Bentley/ MB auto body shop by work, so I stopped in and chatted with the manager. (I was hoping he had a lead to a great W126 or something..he didn't) What did happen, I noticed the W140 body style... wow!! He didn't know much about them other than fixing the body work and just kept saying, "They are nice!". Gee thanks! So... does anybody have any inside information about this body style?

I found out the basics:

six cylinder diesel (is it a turbo diesel?), rear wheel drive, and I could only find info on a 300 SD model, no SDLs.. are they not available in these models?

Well check this out... by total accident I found a 1992 Charcoal with brown/ orange interior (kind of a pumpkin color look) 300 SD with 140,000 miles. The seller is asking $12,500 US, but is open for negotiations. Is this a good purchase? Are there any "gremlins" that I should be aware of? Is this the same six cylinder as in the 91 350 SDL? Should I stay away???? OK..next item.. it gets better..

Talking with my wife's uncle about MBs he says, "I'll sell you mine". I know he has a convertible, but don't know what type. I check it out...

A beautiful, pristine 87 sort of a metallic blue with grey interior 560SL with 138, 000 miles. He has owned it since 1992 and has only put 17,000 miles since purchase... oh yeah he is the second owner!!!!!

He says, "I'll let her go for $14,000 US". I look at my wife and she says "If you want it, I DON"T CARE!!!!" I almost fainted!!!! Well, we take it for a test drive and I noticed a few things wrong, but I don't want to pass up this vehicle if I just "won the local lottery" with this car. I checked the price around on Ebay and Autotrader and it seems high, but I REALLY don't know anything about this model. Other than it is a GAS model and it only takes PREMIUM gasoline!!! ouch! But again, it is a cool roadster and well, I'd look SUPER cool driving it. But, it definitely is not a S-class Benz.

Things that I "heard" and saw "wrong" with the 560SL:

- A/C doesn't work... he said it did work at some point, but didn't fix it because "It's a convertible, why do you need A/C?" Maybe when it gets HOT...I don't know?
- When the wheels were turning or turned (ie. making a turn or going into a parking spot) I heard a faint "clatter" as if the CV joints were going bad... does this vehicle have CV joints? what was I hearing??
- The radio doesn't work... here goes the story:

One day (about 2 years ago) he got a jump start from somebody, he thinks Mr. X, connected the cables wrong and blew out a relay. How did he know the relay was blown? The RPM indicator would move all crazy and didn't work properly. He took it in to the dealer, they said a relay was blown and it's all good now. Well, the radio didn't work, so he got a code?? and it works, but no sound comes out of the speakers. Since he doesn't drive the car (other than on warm sunny Sundays) this latest battery went dead, he bought a new one (last week)... now he doesn't know/remember the code to the radio and doesn't remember the last time he even used the radio!!! Again, he says "Its a convertible, I didn't feel I needed a radio!!" Well, I need my music when I drive!

He thinks it's all related some how (the relay and the radio)

- Last item I found wrong:
When you press the antenna up/down button a fuse blows... now he doesn't know what the fuse controls, because the antenna still went up when the radio worked. He replaced the fuse, but has not pushed the button ever again (I guess it's like the button that controls a nuke is some silo somewhere??) The "mystery button" will strike again....

Also there is a "defrost button" next to the "evil-fuse-popper" button.. he has no clue what that controls as the soft top doesn't have defrost lines???

Are these minor things, or big ticket items... what about the price... too much, buy it and don't look back....

You just won the MB lottery???

Well, ANY and ALL comments will surely be appreciated. Again, Thanks for your support.

Rafael.

-Raf-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in