BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to banterer Send a message via Yahoo to banterer
(Thread Starter)
extending the Factory Warranty?

Hello,

I own a 2001 CLK that has a new car warranty expiration date of August '04. Can you tell me what the rationale is behind NOT allowing owners of cars that MBUSA has been servicing all this time to renew/extend the warranty before it expires?

I love the car but want to be able to "pay up front" to cover my repairs so that I do not have to deal with the high rates when I do have to take the car in.

Can you tell me what other owners do? Is there no way to be able to pay for the car to get "Starmark" certified? If they are maintaining the car for the first 4 yrs then the car should be just as good today as it was when I first got it [unless the car is abused in which case, an abusive owner is not going to be looking to pay to extend a warranty on it anyway!]. I am asking, why it a car not eligible to be even tested for certification and then if it qualifies - allow us to pay a fee? My car is immaculate and I love it, if I were to trade it in, they would only wash it, wax it, test it and certify it. I have been told that I lost the option to extend the warranty after the first 12 months of owning the car - but no one told me that anytime during that first year. I only found out about it when I asked about it about 6 months ago.

Thanks,
Jorge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
RE: extending the Factory Warranty?

It sounds as though your dealership wasn't too informative. I would assume that they don't make much on extended warranty sales, and, as a rule, they're hoping to make more by individual repairs after the initial four years.

I purchased a 2002 SL500 which was Starmark certified, hence, five years. I then added three additional years for a total of eight.

What surprises me, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that if you purchase new, you can only purchase seven years total.

It would be great to be able to get used cars Starmark certified.

C.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Actually, if their cars are as good as mine has been, I would say that they do make money on it. None of these car companies would be offering extended warranties if they were losing propositions. At least that is the way it works in the normal world. That is why whenever you are purchasing electronics, everybody and his brother is always trying to get you to "supersize" your warranty at purchase.

I really don't know what the original could have been extended to since no one told me and I have not bothered to ask.

I did speak to a dealership that is willing to work with me but unfortunately they have to buy the car and then resell it to me and since I would then have to pay the sales tax, it would then jump into numbers that no longer make it attractive to do.

Glad you got a good deal though!
Jorge
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004

If I recall, they also told me that when I trade mine in, that they refund the balance left on the warranty and it has to be re-Starmarked.

However, the balance of the warranty is transferable if I sell it privately.

C.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1997 S500

Quote:
banterer - 5/10/2004 12:14 ...Can you tell me what the rationale is behind NOT allowing owners of cars that MBUSA has been servicing all this time to renew/extend the warranty before it expires?

...Is there no way to be able to pay for the car to get "Starmark" certified?

...I am asking, why it a car not eligible to be even tested for certification and then if it qualifies - allow us to pay a fee?

Thanks,
Jorge
Jorge: Welcome to the forum! Great questions! Had you considered calling MB customer service @ 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES? They're open 24/7. Please keep us informed as to their reply. [8)]

"If money can fix it, it's not a problem..."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

Hi Shawn,

Actually I spoke to them yesterday and as cordial as she was, she told me that their policy only allowed for extension within the first 12 mos....that it was the responsibility of the dealership to tell me at the time of purchase.

I asked her "if it is their responsibility, how is the dealership held responsible?". She then told me that they are all independently owned and they had no control over the dealership. I told her that if MB does not hold them accountable for doing anything or if nothing is mailed out as per any policy then she should stop saying they are "responsible" for telling us and should use the proper term for what she is describing, "dealerships have the OPTION of telling customers about the 12 month time window". She agreed and continued to use option instead.

The call was just a waste of time. They have no real rationale and clearly don't care how it affects the MB owner.

Take care,
Jorge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in