Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: SLK230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Help me decide! :)

If it is not to feel old, i wouldn't recommend any of these cars.Unless you are a taxi-driver [:D].Heck , i'll go for the Bugatti Veyron. It has more luxury, more power and are much faster (no limiter).And you can brag about having 16 cylinders instead of 8 or 12. And of course is one of the few cars (if not the only one) in the very ,very exclusive +1000hp-club.
Nothing is more impressive than that.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz CLK430

Quote:
amgbnz - 4/19/2004 8:41 AM

hey brian, why can't you drive an S-class in the winter? up here in canada i see them all the time and our winters are pretty harsh. there is snow in germany, lots of snow.

while the audi is a decent car, the original question was MB or BMW. maybe the buyer has already decided against the audi.

for class and elegance MB is the winner. you don't see royalty, heads of states or dignitaries riding in BMWs, only Mercedes.

so, the S600 is:
classier
better looking (general consensus)
faster (0-60 in 4.8)
lower depreciation
i think the answer is easy.
I guess it depends on which one. The 430 can make it through 4 inches, I have a CLK430 and anything over 4 inches and I am stuck. Maybe some of the ones that you see driving are 4matic. But the 600 has way to much power to be driving in the snow, and to my knowledge they do not make a S600 4matic.

I also realize that he was asking MB or BMW, but I felt that my opinion may interest him. I see alot of people telling him to get the maybach. True, it is one of the best cars to drive clients in, but unless your companys address says PARK AVE, NY NY, chances are you cannot afford the $380,000.

To answer his question, between those two cars I would choose the mercedes. I would choose this because it is more low key than the BMW. The 760 gets a lot of attention, and thats not something you really want. Here in New York City a S class mercedes is a common car and wont get too much attention even though it is a 600. And you if you are using the car personally as well, the speed is a great thing to have.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 06:33 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: Widebody SEC

a CLK, or any other sports car, is definately not for snow. you're right the S600 does not come in 4matic. i guess a good set of snow tires is all their using.

the maybach is interesting; if i was driving clients around in a maybach i would feel more like a chauffeur than anything else. i think a maybach is to be driven IN rather than drive. i wonder what the maybach owners do.
Attached Images

500SEC AMG Widebody
ML320
SLK230
1974 280 Coupe

those who want the best car in the world, drive a Mercedes-Benz
those who want the best Mercedes-Benz, drive a w126

MBCA executive board member
Mercedes-Benz Club of Canada - active member
MBFanatics.org moderator
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 98 BMW 528i
Send a message via AIM to Jamison

If you want to make a really nice impression. Get a S600 Guard. You clients will feel very "secure" traveling around in an armored car! If not, buy a G-class. They have plenty of room and are very unique.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1999 SLK230 Kompressor

I would say wait a little to see what is on the horizon. I can tell you how many problems the first generation 7 series had when they came out - when those puppies act up, everything shuts down and you had to reprogram all the car's computers (to be fair to BMW, they have since released patches and fixes for most or all the software glitches). Another thing, BMW already has plans to redo the front and rear look to the 7 - that tells you the design was not its greatest selling point; too many complaints. And the i-drive is a maze - I had no problems using it, but if you are not techy or patient, you risk taking your eyes off the road to fiddle with the damn thing and get it just where you want it.
The Audi S8 is a great understated luxury car. Yes, it does not scream 'Look at me!' like the 7, nor does it have the commanding pull/recognition of the 3-pointed star, but for quality, performance, and luxury it delivers a well-rounded package. It may look to some like an overgrown Passat (although I do not see the resemblance), but they will know it is not a Passat because there is that something different about it. Find one, drive one and compare notes - we can yap all eternity about taste but in the end it is your money and you get to live with your choice.
BTW did you consider getting a Range Rover???? Now that will impress whomever you have to shuttle around even though it is no Porsche (I would add the Cayenne to your list but I still cannot get over the front nose of the car; spectacular performance but why that front nose????)
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2004

Quote:
Kirill - 4/16/2004 9:43 AM

I saw A8 on a street one day. And my first thought was - why is this passat so big ?
hahaha- i use to say that shit about audis all the time and my bf would yell at me. [:D]

ME. ME. ME.
My Entertainment.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 10:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '05 330i ZHP
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
LUGNUT - 4/19/2004 3:27 PM

If it is not to feel old, i wouldn't recommend any of these cars.Unless you are a taxi-driver [:D].Heck , i'll go for the Bugatti Veyron. It has more luxury, more power and are much faster (no limiter).And you can brag about having 16 cylinders instead of 8 or 12. And of course is one of the few cars (if not the only one) in the very ,very exclusive +1000hp-club.
Nothing is more impressive than that.
The TVR Cerbera Speed 12 is also 1000+hp, but they put low octane fuel in it when they were measuring the hp, so the insurance wouldnt be as horrendous. officially they only make 800bhp, but they have been dynoed at 1000-1200 hp. and Brian, you can drive a 600 in snow, just dont put your foot down as hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in