LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Teleaid VS Lojack

I was curious as to the differences of teleaid and lojack and which was a better deal. What I found is this:
The one advantage lojack has over teleaid is that it can be tracked whether the ignition is on or off, and it's a 1 time fee.
Teleaid has 2 advantages, it has a larger coverage area than lojack because it does not rely on police departments to read or locate your signal, it works on cell signals. for me, the added security of calling for help if my s430 is wrecked and unlocking the trunk if i leave the keys in there. i just wish it was built into vehicle price, but i guess $240 isn't bad per year for those services.

hope that helps anyone still on the fence deciding which to get
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Teleaid VS Lojack

There should be a whole bunch of threads on this subject that you can find now that the search function appears to be working again.

Tele Aid and LoJack are two very different systems geared towards different uses. LoJack is about stolen vehicle recovery. Tele Aid is more about safety and convenience.

From the point of view of stolen vehicle recovery, several things work against Tele Aid. The current Tele Aid system only uses analog cellular to contact the service center. If the Tele Aid in your system can't connect to the carrier ATX contracts with, or there is no analog service, your system can't communicate with the service center. For the GPS to get a fix, it needs an unobstructed view of the sky. That means if your car gets put in a container or is in a building, there's a good chance that the GPS won't be able to get a fix. For Tele Aid to get a fix on your car, the ignition has to be on, I don't think it actually needs to be running. So, if your car gets towed, flat bedded or whatever, only the last position it was in will be reported but not where it went. From the point of view of safety and convenience the only things against it are the use of analog cellular and the cost.

LoJack is a sytem operated by the police to track and locate stolen vehicles. There is an upgrade to LoJack called the early warning system which will notify you that your vehicle moved without you in it so you can report it stolen sooner. This was very important to me. There is a one time fee which includes the hardware and installation, but it isn't cheap. You can usually get a better price if you call LoJack directly. Since I live in Southern CA and close to the border, I believe LoJack Early Warning System is the right thing. I will not renew my Tele Aid when the first year is up - and I'll probably be replacing the head unit anyway which will disable it altogether.

If you want the other servicesTele Aid offers go for it if you think it is worth it. The fact that it might be able to help recover a stolen vehicle is an added bonus. If you and your vehicle are in a location where LoJack is available, it is certainly worth it. You can certainly have both.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: