post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 2003 e55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Beware of the keyless go...

I am a proud owner of a 2003 e55 and one of the options I have is keyless go… a very cool option that allows operation of you vehicle without the physical use of the key, all you have to do is have the key on you.
Well my wife and I decide to do a road trip to Dallas so she can do some shopping at the Galleria Mall… (got to keep the wife happy) I am not a shopper so I just let her off at the front door tell her I will be back in a couple of hours… well off I go…
I decide to go to Plano and just drive around… Plano is about 15 miles from the mall and all is going just fine until I pass the Mercedes dealership… all the sudden there is beeping and the dash display starts flashing and in red it informs me that the KEY IS NOT RECOGNIZED… it is at that point I realize that my wife has the keys in her purse, well I think no big deal I will just go back to the mall and get the key from my wife… good plan until I come to the first red light… as soon as I slow down to about 10mph the car shuts off… I am now setting in the middle lane of a major 3 lane thru-way… if anyone has ever been to Dallas you know that the people there drive like the police is chasing them all the time… so I turn on the flashers and push the emergency call button…. thinking and hopping that maybe they can do something electronically to help me get going again… wrong.. they tell me to call 911… so then I call the Mercedes dealership that I just passed less than ½ mile back to see if they had a tow service to come get me… they do not… but they give me a number of a local tow service… all this time I am pressing and releasing the brake pedal to get the attention of the drivers coming at me at over 60mph because the flashers are not doing the trick… I keep doing this for about 15 minutes until a kid in Z28 almost nails me… I would have just pushed my car to the side of the road but it is stuck in park… so I get out of my car and run to the side walk and just watch… talk about a Maalox moment.. it takes about 15 more minutes for the tow truck to show up and the police never showed up… well $75 bucks later I am in a tow truck at the mall getting the key from my wife, and she is just laughing at me…
[B)][B)]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: CLK 500 Coupe
RE: Beware of the keyless go...

wow what an advanture that you've had. Man now i'm seriously considering adding the option of keyless go on my future cars !!!![8D]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: A-Class

I'm sorry, but that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. I'm sure it must have been quite worrying at the time, but it certainly wouldn't stop me from buying a car with keyless-go. The real question you have to ask is why are you giving the keys to an E55 to the wife? [:)]
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

well that is a good question... the only way she would let me buy the car was to let her think it was for her... so now she thinks it is her car!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 1995 MB S320V: 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 lt

[:(]
I think it's her car too, sorry.

B

BECAUSE SIZE REALY DOES MATTER, W140
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320

So, whenever you go past a Mercedes dealer with keyless go keys or another person with keyless go the system will mess up?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

well i think it was just a coincidence that the keyless go system started warning me just as i passed by...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in