post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: The "GENERAL"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reply to n5160u...

"..BTW; I have always wondered about this:
Dodge uses the Cummins engine for their pickup and Ford buys their diesel from Navistar. The Cummins IMHO is the best engine for light duty trucks so why does Ford use Navistar when they own Cummins?..."

You have a good point...

Some of these business schemes perplex me...

Thanks again for the input...

"...Now when someone speaks of the [elusive?] runaway diesel concept I am better informed to speculate on failure analysis with them..."

Thanks very much you have been most enlightening...
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2005
RE: nearly killed when turbocharger failed

Runaway diesel engines are caused by the engine burning its own oil. usually caused by turbo oil seal failure or excessivly foul oil bath but ingestion of engine oil will burn like diesel fuel. Diesel engines run on compression generated by air and fuel> No spark just increase fuel and engine speed increases. When oil is sucked into the turbo and there are no ways to close off the air/block intake then the engine will run wide open(runaway) until it comes apart or runs out of oil. usually will explode first. So the best thing is to put it in neutral stop and get out. get away and let it happen cause your not going to stop it. Proper maintenance is the only way to prevent this.It happens in the marine industry occasionally. When it happens you just hope when the engine lets go parts exit up not down thru the hull causing the vessel to sink.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 07:16 PM
One of the BW Old Guard
Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Having seen a number of diesels run-away, I can say it is a frightening experience. In each of the cases I was party too, I or someone with me simply smoothered the intake with shop rags (blocked the intake). If you can shut off the air, the combustion process will stop. Obviously, in a case as described above, theris no way to stop, get out, raise the hood, and shove a rag into the intake manifold; therefore, not much could have been done (except to throw the car into neutral and watch the fireworks). Old Detroit engines used to come equipped with a flapper on the intake manifold, which was spring-loaded to close when an emergency kill handle was pulled. This could easily be incorporated into an automobile, released by a selenoid, so I do not understand why it has not been the case. One fact is certain... Turbos eventually blow an oil seal, and begin passing oil into the intake. Usually, the bearings are shot by then, so a run-away is avoided by turbo failure. I had a Cat engine break a turbo shaft, which allowed oil to pass the seal. Thankfully, the broken shaft prevented the impeller from turning, so the engine was throttled to about 1700rpm (it did not blow apart, or run away). Strange; however, to seea large diesel engine run amuck (so much smoke the vehicle was shrouded...)

RM Smith

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 01:48 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe

Let me get this:
Turbo examples noted in diesel and non-diesel cars above.
What about the superchargers on the newer AMG Benzes?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:38 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350

The runaway problem as described here only relates to diesels. On a gas engine all you have to do is turn off the ignition to stop the engine.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: