LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: my new 2003, S55 won't hold a battery charge

Nothing like going to the dealership armed to the teeth! [:D] Good deal, let us know if they get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Wagon

My Uncle has a 2001 c320 and he just had his instrument cluster replaced, because it was killing his battery and shorting out bulbs.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thought I would give a short update: I took my car to a dealership in Dallas on Thursday. They gave us a car to drive (we live about 100 miles from Dallas) and we talked on the telephone on Saturday. They had found a drain and had fixed it , but then had possibly found another one and are keeping the car. I want it fix if that means keeping it a few days that is OK. Monday we will probably go and get it, we will see. This dealership is a franchise dealership, it is an old and respected dealership in the wealthiest part of Dallas. He said the factory rep comes once a week and has the diagonistic machine that only he uses. I do not believe this dealership could stay in business and service the cars they sell in their neighborhood and tolorate a new S55 that will not start. I am optimestic.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Good luck!
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

I just got my S55 back from Park Place dealership in Dallas and I was wanting to type on here what they said they did to it and that they expect it to start now as it should. It is late on Monday aftrnoon now and I took the car to them about noon last Thursday. This is what was typed on my invoice although the car is in warranty: electrical system, diagnose malfunction 31 W93 Push Button Command
Unit-telephone-radio-gps, R & R/repl 31 W

2562***WRO***client reports barrery has to be jump started after sitting for 3 days. Test for any DTC fault codes, none. Test Battery (see attached mid-tronics test sheet). Battery Good, after charge. Test electrical system for current draws. Found 0.670 amp draw with spikes up to 2.400. Test components for draw. Found that draw goes away after eqection of navigation C D in command unit. Determined that draw was coming from command unit navigation processor. Replace command unit, test for draws. No draws exist after replacement. Current draw now .030-.025. Let vehicle sit for 3 days, (fri., Sat., and Sun.) vehicle started up with no problems on Monday......

Well, it makes a little sense to me, does it make sense to you? I am goint to leave tomorrow for 3 weeks and my car will sit undriven. That will give it a good test.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Yes, unfortunately it makes perfect sense: DC has once again shot itself in the foot by putting too much techno junk in these cars – I don’t need a gps system. I know how to get where I need to go and I have a cell phone to use if trouble should arise. We are quickly getting to the point (if we are not there already) where one can put just so much equipment in to an automobile and expect either the car or equipment to work correctly. [:(!][xx(]

Looks like the dealer got it right – like you said, this will be the test – we’ll keep our fingers crossed that when you return she’ll start for you. Either way please post again and good luck.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1989 300SE
Send a message via MSN to Paco

Quote:
Test electrical system for current draws. Found 0.670 amp draw with spikes up to 2.400. Test components for draw. Found that draw goes away after eqection of navigation C D in command unit. Determined that draw was coming from command unit navigation processor. Replace command unit, test for draws. No draws exist after replacement. Current draw now .030-.025. Let vehicle sit for 3 days, (fri., Sat., and Sun.) vehicle started up with no problems on Monday......
Makes perfect sense to me, let me spread it about a bit.

Current Step: Test electrical system for current draws.
Error Found: Found 0.670 amp draw with spikes up to 2.400. Test components for draw.
Reason for Error Found: Found that draw goes away after eqection of navigation C D in command unit. Determined that draw was coming from command unit navigation processor.
Solution: Replace command unit, test for draws.
After Further Testing: No draws exist after replacement. Current draw now .030-.025. Let vehicle sit for 3 days, (fri., Sat., and Sun.) vehicle started up with no problems on Monday......
Repair Successful!

The "draw" they speak of the the amount that the car pulls from the battery, measured in amps, at a given time.

The dealership that you have found appears to be an excellent dealership. I would recommend having your car serviced there again.

1989 300SE - Stock - where's my turbos? [8D]

Vote Democrat, its easier than thinking.
Buy a gun, piss off a liberal.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 12:58 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG
That is great news

joeardis,
Sounds like your problem is solved. The dealer found that your car was drawing about 20 times more current than it should. With their fix, it is drawing a normal (assumably normal) amount of current, so, the car should be able to sit about 20 times longer than it was. That is somewhere around 60 days or 8.5 weeks.

With a properly charged, new battery you might be able to get that kind of stand by time or even better. With an older battery, or one that isn't fully charged, or if it is cold, you won't get as good a stand by time. Remember, when you start your car, it uses some of the battery's capacity, if the car has been sitting, more of the capacity has been used. You need to run the engine long enough to replenish the charge. If you don't, the standby time will be reduced.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks alot. That does make such good sense. Yes I am pleased with the dealership in Dallas. Park Place Motercars is the name of it and it has been there in a very expensive part of Dallas for years. The dealership I took my car to first is in Tyler and I believe it has not been selling Mercedes very long. They are a Crysler Dealership.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 09:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Send a message via AIM to thx1138jd

Mercedes Tech here,I had to drop a line regarding your ordeal on your 03 S55.Here in Memphis our shop sees several S-Classes a month with a current draw.I personally as a tech dealt with my fist one last week and overall it was a sraightforward diagnosis.I sure hate to see a client go through what you did.Going to Park Place was a great decision.I personally know several techs there and have gone to training with them as well and they are all very sharp tech's.For future reference,Mercedes diagnostic information is available at any dealership as this is a known problem and engineering has developed procedure to solve,ie the "quiescent current draw test".Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in