post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 SLK32 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
$75 Tele Aid Charge...Not!

I was looking at my credit card bill and found a $75 charge for Tele Aid. I only got my car recently and activated Tele Aid shortly there after. I hadn't used the system, so I just couldn't figure out where the charge came from.

Well, I called MB customer service and they connected me with Tele Aids accounts department. It turned out that they had signed me up for a service, Tele Trek. I explained that I had declined all of the services. The customer service agent was very nice and removed the charge from my credit card. I know that I declined everything but I wonder if there was a misunderstanding because I was in a poor AMPS coverage area when I made the call. Oh well, in the long run seems like no harm done.

I did get to ask MB customer service to verify one question while I was on the line. I wanted to verify how the stolen car tracking system worked. Before I could get the question out, the customer service rep told me I needed a police report. But I told him that wasn't my question. I asked him to verify if the car's ignition had to be on or not to have it tracked. His answer, as stated in the terms and conditions, was that the car had to be running in order to be tracked.

All in all, I liked how my call and questions were handled. I hope it is always that easy. Well, actually I hope I don't have to call again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
RE: $75 Tele Aid Charge...Not!

Tele Aid, while useful, can be very sneaky. When I bought my car, the Tele Aid option was added as part of the purchase price of the car. About one month later, there's a $250 charge on my credit card for the service. I called my MB sales person. He checked it out for me and dicovered that Tele Aid had billed me for another year, in advance. He had them remove the charge from my card. Near the end of my first year, they charged me for using the servie. It turned out that I had some time left over from my included free 30 minutes from the first year. So, they removed that charge also. Since then, no problems.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2001 CLK430

Hi SledDog,
Thanks for all your posting and comments. My name is Thomas and I live here in San Diego as well. I own a 2001 CLK430 (see gallery) which I picked up used from the SD about a year ago. Like you I had declined services like Tele Aid only to have them activated as well.

When I inquired about the service, I was told that I had a 30 day temporay activation to see if I would enjoy the service.

I am sad to say (they got me:-) I was pleasently surprised and do enjoy the service...so kept it.

Since our traffic conditions here in SD are so predictable, I don't use the "traffic report" as much, but I can't tell you haow many times I have been unable to find an address or business location that I leaned on Tele Aid for "live time" directions.

My only complaint is that for the price of these cars today I too wish they would include this as a standard option for the duration of the 4yr warrenty, $75 - $225.00 per year is steep...at least on day one when you just went through a little cash to get the car.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2001 CLK430

PS I did have my car towed a couple of months back and tele aid did call me on my registered number at 11:30pm to tell the vehicle alarm had gone off wothout a response from from me for five minutes and that vehicle was moving.

Obviously since the vehicle was being towed the engine was not on. They were still able to track it with the engine off and even gave the coordinate & cross streets to where vehicle was sitting still at the next morning.

I was definately impressed!

TB
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Mine wasn't a free trial period

Hi there ThomasBrown24,
Welcome to the forum. I've probably seen you in that CLK [8D].

In my case, I declined all of the services. While I think the Tele Aid offerings are a bit overpriced, I think the actual services are very good. Still not everyone requires the service. Since my SLK32 is not my daily driver, I really don't need it. My wife could use such a service but her vehicle doesn't have that type of feature (it isn't an MB). In fact, we are going to La Jolla Audio to take a look at what options they have for her car in terms of a Nav system and audio for my SLK.

It is likely in SD, and the rest of the country, that in another 4 years, there will not be analog cellular service. The FCC put a 5 year phase out of their analog requirement in place last year and just said they would hold to that decision last week. MB and all the other car manufacturers will hopefully update their telematics in the near future to not use analog cellular service.

Hope why ever you were towed was not so bad. You didn't say if the alarm went off from the beginning of the tow or only at the end of the tow. For the GPS to operate and get a position fix, the ignition switch has to be in the on position. So technically the engine doesn't have to be running. The Tele Aid system in your car remembers the last place it was when the ignition switch was on - assuming it was on long enough to get a fix, and the time to get a fix is dependent on how long the GPS receiver was off. If it wasn't on long enough to get a new fix, it probably remembers an older fix. The ignition switch of your car was very likely turned on, at least at the end of the tow - that's a normal thing. That would explain being able to recall the final location. If you did not disable the tow alarm, it would also indicate that the vehicle is in motion.

I think if they were able to track with the ignition switch off, the terms and conditions would indicate that as well as the folks at customer service. That coupled with the performance of "normal" GPS receivers are two of the reasons I did get LoJack as I've mentioned in other posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2004

MB WILL BE SWITCHING TO DIGITAL SERVICE PRIOR TO THE ANALOG SIGNALS BEING DISOLVED, I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THIS ISSUE AS WELL SO I CALLED IN. HOPE THAT EASES SOME CONCERNS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

Quote:
thomasbrown24 - 2/15/2004 12:59 PM

$225.00 per year is steep.
Don't forget the roughly $5.00 per minute usage fee. [:0]

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Pasion Coupe/Gray Metallic/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Solid Roof/Premium Sound/Fog Lights/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2004

airtime is .75/min at the most, if you were billed $5 you should def call in & verify what you were billed for. that is not a correct per minute charge, the most i ever see at once is between $2-5 for a call depending on how long i am connected.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
That doesn't ease my concerns...

Quote:
justinS430 - 4/7/2004 12:43 PM

MB WILL BE SWITCHING TO DIGITAL SERVICE PRIOR TO THE ANALOG SIGNALS BEING DISOLVED, I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THIS ISSUE AS WELL SO I CALLED IN. HOPE THAT EASES SOME CONCERNS
If you are concerned about your current Tele Aid system, I'm not sure how this would ease your concerns. Yes, in the future Tele Aid systems put into MB's will be compatible with at least one of the digital systems. Until then, the Tele Aid systems installed in MB's are only compatible with analog cellular. So, if you have it now, as analog service fades, it will become more and more difficult to connect with the Tele Aid service center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in