Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SLK 32 AMG Kompressor Loss of power

8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Slk32 V6 AMG just tuned 40 Klm only driven in the sunshine with the top down.
I have a problem with the power lately, or loss of power it like it not getting gas or spark. sometime if you hit the gas it will through you back in your seat, other times it just barely accelerates. would not pass a car.

I just had it in the MB shop and they checked all the codes and nothing.
nothing shows up on the dash.

Its intermittent one you step on the gas and your up to 140 the next time you struggle to get to 70,

the shop said they could star replacing stuff, but did not know where to start
No codes are coming up, what could be the cause?

I had to wait a month to get in the shop, just to have the codes read.

if there was a loss of spake would this show up as a code?
If the injectors were dirty ...Code?

See less See more
#4 ·
The symptoms described sound a lot like the blower isn't kicking in. A common cause of this is failure of the intercooler circulation pump.

If you can get to the pump you should be able to determine if it's running just by feeling it vibrating. Should also feel heat differential in the feed and return pipes and in the intercooler radiator also.

#5 ·
The MB mechanic sort of looked at supercharger and thought that was working ok,
and said that if there was any issue with that the car would code.

not sure how familiar they are with the car here, new dealership and their senior mechanic just retired, so if there is no code on the car, not sure where to start.

i think it is with the fuel, not an easy or cheap filter on this AMG, I have added a cleaner to see if it continues.
cannot really run the car, when she gets the (fuel?) your up to 140 in seconds
other times you can floor it and nothing getting so I would not pull out to pass if you know what I mean?

#7 ·
I read through a couple of "Bosch pump" problems and you seem to be on the right track,
not sure I want to tackle this my self< I will see if I can feel the temp difference and vibration, I am guessing this is the pump they are referring to behind the passenger wheel well?
would MB service tech be familiar with this type of problem, he was going on about all the sensors that was in the car....

I am guessing this becomes more of a problem when the car warms up?
Thanks for your help, will let you know how I make out
Jeff

#8 ·
just read a post "DIY - Intercooler Pump" by 2002c230 BenzWorld Elite
I am guessing this is exactly what you were referring to;
in All the post they seem to replace the pump with Ford Cobra/SVT Lightning pump, or the Johnson CM30/CM90 pump.

given that it is prone to fail, I still am considering going back with OEM
just something about keeping the car orginal
thoughts??
I only drive with the top down any threat of rain and it stays in the garage, maybe 3K a year if I am lucky!

#9 ·
I'm not sure if all MD Kompressor engines use the same pump but as I understand it, the one that used to be used by MB was replaced with a higher-flow or more reliable one, still by Bosch, and is now Bosch part number 0 392 022 010.

They can be had for about €120~€150 so personally I wouldn't bother with alternatives given the different wiring connections etc. It's different, of course, if you're tying to enhance performance or feed a bigger intercooler but if all you're doing is trying to get the engine to perform like standard I'd say the OEM would be the way to go.

#11 ·
I like your style!!! you have been a great help, from reading the other posts this is the problem I am pretty well sure, intermittent power and seems that temperature is the culprit
I will see if I can locate the pump here locally. where are you locating the part numbers,
is a site that we can refer to?

#14 ·
Loss of power

I'm having the same problem with my 02 slk32. I have no power at passing speeds. The rpms shoot up but the car just putts along when I hit the throttle. I don't get the boost I should. Most of the time the car runs fine. I changed the intercooler pump. The car runs cooler but the same problem persists.

#15 ·
I'm having the same problem with my 02 slk32. I have no power at passing speeds. The rpms shoot up but the car just putts along when I hit the throttle. I don't get the boost I should. Most of the time the car runs fine. I changed the intercooler pump. The car runs cooler but the same problem persists.
Manual or auto? Sounds like your clutch is slipping or some other transmission-related problem?

#16 ·
If the car has power when it is cold but after warming up it suddenly loses the power, the intercooler pump is the culprit. The kompressor works until it gets too warm and needs cooling. But when the cooling does not work, the blower will be shut down. The intercooler pump is actually not on all the time, it just runs for a few seconds when needed (you may actually hear its whine for a second or so every now and then with a warm engine). But if it does not work and the kompressor gets too hot, it will be shut off to prevent damage. Therefore it feels like the engine "loses power" as the boost is lost.

If the power loss occurs already when engine is cold, then the blower is faulty.

If the power loss occurs after the engine has warmed up, i.e. the pump does not run, it is worth checking the pump fuse first. It may be blown. I had that case some years ago and did not need to replace the pump, it worked just fine after I replaced the fuse. But if the fuse is OK, then most likely the pump is faulty. There are quite a few threads on how to replace it in R170 section (and in other sections for cars that have the 3.2 l kompressor engine).

#17 ·
Was the power loss in this situation ever figured out 100%? I'm having the exact same problem, it feels like I'm getting no boost or the transmission is slipping. Like these other guys said though, sometimes it will be struggling to hit 70, and randomly other times it will reach 120 with no problems. Again, almost seems heat related too. Just wanted to hear from one of the guys if this was their problem so I can go into the repair knowing exactly what to fix instead of shooting in the dark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.