Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Street/Off-Roading Tires

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  PAQUERAS 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a set of Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs from vikingoffroad.com for my 2010 G550 after driving Titus Canyon Road for the first time yesterday (highly recommended 28-mile dirt road into Death Valley National Park). The set up should give me about 40mm extra clearance and I plan on keeping my current 18-inch OEM rims. The truck presently has 265/60R tires in the front and rear.

My main question is, after the shocks and springs are installed, what are the best tires that I can purchase for my vehicle that perform well on dry pavement but are also above-average tires for off-road conditions such as rocks, sand, mud, etc.?

Further, what is the largest tire size that can fit on a 2010 G550 with a 40mm lift without having to make any modifications to the wheel well? Also, if the largest tires possible without modifications are not the optimal size, which size tire would any of you recommend.

Thanks for the information!

-Alex

#2 ·
Hey Alex,
I bought the Maxxis Bighorn in 275/65R18 and this tires are great for sand/mud/rocks but not so good for the road.
I think the best tires for you are the BF Goodrich T/A KO2.
You should try the 275/70R18 or 275/75R18.

My G is on OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kit + 50mm extras with OEM wheels (no rubbing)

#4 ·
Thanks for the response and great looking G...

I think I'm going to go with the BFG KO2s in 275/70R/18 and use 30mm H&R wheel spacers all around to help offset the extra height. It sucks I can't put the new tires on now since I need to replace my current ones but without the new shocks/springs, they'll rub as the vehicle presently sits.

#7 ·
Your G looks amazing! I wish I hadn't already bought spacers, otherwise I would be interested in the set you have.

Could you post pictures of the spare and what you've done with the cover now that you have a heavy duty tire on it?

Also, I see you have the VTS rock sliders without your OEM running boards. Without the running boards, is it noticeably harder to get in and out of your vehicle? Why did you choose to scrap the OEM running boards?

I'm trying to get as much information as I can on the various off-roading aftermarket parts that can be affixed to our trucks and I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to me!

Thanks,
Alex

#13 ·
Very very nice G's gents. If i'm not mistaken the spare tire cover should be good for width up to 285....i am running 285/55R19's however in the process of having extensions made per my previous G that allows me to turn it around with the front of the wheel facing outwards.....

Car unfortunately looks ridiculous without any tire back there and frankly as it's my wife's I consider the spare part of the rear - side protection - lol

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.