Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Change to interior LED bulbs. Which socket and how to remove dashboard?

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  AlanMcR 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade my old yellow halogen interior bulbs with white LEDs. Does anyone have a list of the socket type and watt I need?

Can anyone explain the steps to remove the mid consoll dash to change the bulbs behind the buttons?

-G320/1997

#2 ·
Sadly, this is a non-trivial job.
1) remove air-bag 2x T25 screws, inside the backside of the steering wheel
2) remove steering wheel
3) remove turn signal and cruise stalks
4) remove plastic column cover
5) undo screw in the wood trim
6) at this point you can cut the trim at the screw hole and glue the screw into place as a locating pin. That way you can re-assemble 1-5 and drive while attacking the rest of the tasks.
7) remove the two screws at the top of the console
8) remove radio and whatever your G has to the right of it.
9) remove the bolts revealed by (8)
10 gently pull forward and figure out all the things that are still holding onto the console face (many).

#4 ·
Kind write up, Alan! I hope it helps others looking at the first steps of dash disassembly in the trucks.

larseman, the wood trim is even easier. Two screws inside the armrest console will release the panel at the back. The trim around the shifter can either by gently pried up and removed now or it comes with the wood when you pull it out...your choice.

Take note of the tabs on the trim ring. Some are longer and I believe those go towards the front of the vehicle.

Once the panel it out, you'll need to unplug the High/Low switch.

#5 ·
larsemann, you have the earlier dash. To get out the horizontal wood panel around the shifter:
1) pull up the leather boot around the transfer case lever
2) In that cavity, there is one black #2 Philips screw (point faces forward) that is holding the wood down. A mirror might help finding it.
3) pry up the plastic ring around the shifter with your fingernails.
4) lift up the wood panel.

#7 ·
The switches themselves have internal bulbs. Here is a painful description of the changeout. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/2022137-1984-230ge-w460-toggle-switch-info.html

The fan switch and the illumination behind the sliders is independent. I'm not sure of the bulb type. I think you can just pull off the fan switch knob and the bulb is sitting there waiting for you to pull it out.

If you figure out a replacement, please post it here. I'd like to know too.

#10 ·
I haven't taken these apart, but I presume that they are built much like the vertical console switches. These have a tiny incandescent bulb "permanently" attached internally. Careful when taking apart. There are springs and small ball bearings that provide the pressure and detents. You might want to open them up in a pillowcase, just to prevent losing the parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.