Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Thinking of getting G 500

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  alex98004 
#1 ·
Hello people,

I am thinking of buying a 2003 G500 that had only one owner and he was a doctor. Vehicle is in great condition always maintained at dealer but it has 300K+ miles.

Price is at $20k, what do you guys think about this purchase?

Thank you

#4 ·
It seems a very high price for that many miles even with a stellar service history. 300k is triple what is on my 2004 which is already spendy to maintain depending on the what happens in a given year. Triple the mileage, dang, there better be lots of parts replacements in that service history.

I would think 15k would be generous.

#5 ·
They are great vehicles but with 300k in the 12 to 15k range is what it should sell for. Wholesale people with dealer licenses can get the same truck with 100k for about 21-23k in my area.

I just think of expensive repairs in the front diff , transfer case or axles. Many of these parts do not share parts with other Mercedes vehicles and can be kinda rare and sometimes expensive.

#6 ·
I decided to go for it :)

They came down to 19k :)

Car looks amazing and interior inside is like new! three of the seats look like nobody eve sat in them :)

I would love to lift this car a few inches so does somebody know whats the most reliable kit or whatever way to do it ? :)

#8 ·
Look up the write up for the 30mm to 50mm coil spacers for the lift. Its very easy to do in a day or so. Just keep driving it, the M113 seems to be a true champion. Just keep an eye on the small center drive shaft and front bearings and enjoy.

#9 ·
Well, congrats is in order for sure. That doctor had his tank for the long haul, that's for sure. I'm glad to hear the engine has that kind of longevity to it since I'm at 240,000km's (and sooooo close to my badge!). It is typically the diesels that last forever and a half due to their low rpm lives.

I think you have done well at your entry fee into the club but just because it was $3 at the door, don't think for a second that drinks won't be $19ea. The real reality about G wagon ownership is unless you can mechanic like the 4 Wrench wonderboys in here like Dutch, AlanMcR, G-AMG and Floobydust (sorry if I missed you) then you will really, really want to find an independent shop that understands the vehicle well and can diagnose over the phone. I'm fortunate to live near and have Prestige Auto massage Gwen when she needs it and I've hit a wall in my own capabilities. Al is an absolute gentleman when I do run face first into that wall and humbly ask him to finish a job I tried to start.

I've gone over the list of surprising things that I've personally encountered before and it is stomach turning. Even the independent shops charge $600CDN for spark plug jobs. It's not their fault there are 16 of them and it takes 3.5-4 hours to do a thorough job without ruining the components involved.

What I'm getting at is this; don't think for a second that the Honda Civic priced vehicle you scored has Honda Civic priced maintenance or parts. These things are expensive to run.

In fact, you have a unique opportunity here...! I invite you to tally up the invoices (all 77 of them) and see what the total cost of ownership has been for someone that has taken the truck to the dealership for everything for 13 years. What a great chance to see what long term, dealer supported ownership of a military grade vehicle is. I have a hunch that it would need a doctor's income to support the costs, never mind the fuel bill for 300,000 miles, which I'll take a shot at here.

Avg fuel price from 2003-2016 $2.75USD

Average fuel economy of a 2003 G500 13mpg (at best, let's say and I'll add the totals at 11mpg)

300,000 miles travelled.

$63,461.54USD total ($75,000 on the high side), $4,881.66/yr ($5,769.23/yr), $406.80/mo ($480.77/mo)...all rudimentary math and taking small averages here and there. I've spent upwards of $1500CDN/mo for fuel when I'm seeing clients around the country and am sitting around $18,000CDN for general maintenance over the last 3 years).

#14 ·
Headlight is out

I absolutely love my 319K G Wagen!

I don't like that my headlight died and now I don't have that special tool to lower the Front Grille ( Brush Guard ) and i cant change the bulb :)

Does anybody live in Los Angeles area so i can borrow it this weekend :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.