Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hello Everyone!

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  osky1976 
#1 ·
Hey,
I'm in the military and currently stationed in Naples Italy, I really like how the Mercedes G Wagon is so I'm in the market of buying one. I just recently found a 1990 W460 250GD 4-Door LWB in great condition. I have not bought yet because I'm awaiting a background check to be concluded before i purchase it, but has anyone imported one of these back to the states? I hope it's not difficult, I looked up the importation guidelines and this vehicle model is not really listed in the conforming list. I'll speak to our guys in shipping later this week if I can send back on the military's dime back to the states. If anyone has any information it's greatly appreciated for this model.

Thanks
Oscar

#4 ·
The only possible problem is if you want to register it in Californicate. They have their own set of very screwy rules.

#5 ·
OK good to know, Thanks DUTCH, I test drove it and it road well, the shifter was a little loose but it maybe just bushings that need to be replaced. Unknown if it has heater or AC. I see the vent dials that slide from left to right, that would be great if it does have both. I will hopefully find out soon after the police background check is finished.

#6 ·
I did try turning on the air, the fan came on but not hot or cold. any chance i can display pictures of the engine compartment to find out if it has AC? I'm almost sure it has heater. Its a 1990, its default that almost all cars come with heater.

#7 ·
Hello everyone! After careful inspection of a G wagon and research on what I'm getting myself into. I will be the proud owner of Mercedes 1990 W460 250GD in excellent condition. It's a coincidence on how I came into purchasing this iconic vehicle. I'm in the military working for NATO and this is a former NATO vehicle that was kept at the same place where I work. Until recently 4 months ago was auctioned off to a nearby car lot. The engine sounds excellent, no rust underneath whatsoever, inside is ok but will be better it is in the process of having all the interior redone. So in all the G wagon is in excellent condition. I will post pictures of her when i pick her up this coming Saturday. I'm glad my search is over. I was torn between a G wagon and Defender to take back to the states, and 7 months of thinking on it. I decided to go with a G wagon. I have several plans for her after i do a complete and through tune up:

Upgrade the Dash, I want to give it a modern look LED's, bluetooth ect.
hutchinson Rims
I want it to be painted black
there is no carpet at this time, but will have that put it soon
Roof Rack, I go on alot of trips
upgrade front and rear bumper with winch
and that is all at this time

Man I'm excited. To all the w460 owners I hope to exchange a lot of great ideas back and forth.
Thanks
Osky:grin:grin

#9 ·
250GD

I just purchased a 250GD. I live in annapolis md and use it to drive around town until I can find where the off-road trails are. A little slow, can take a while for glowplug light to extinguish but love it. I was looking at defenders/series, toyotas, patrols, etc. But this is unique and will not see another one on the road and is probably more durable than the defenders... Getting ready to clean/purge the injectors and generally preparing for the winter cold. except for the passenger side rear brake like not working, everything is up to speed

#12 ·
Are you asking for a Vehicle Data Card? If so, you have a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.