Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Considering G Class

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SandmanG500 
#1 ·
Hey guys, total newbie here. I'm coming from a Land Cruiser that has 240,000 miles on it since 1996 and refuses to die. It's been great but I want something new (to me). I find the G Class appealing and am considering finding an older one for my next vehicle.

Any suggestions to a new guy? Would you buy again? What are good sources for used ones in the USA? If you're not on a bling budget but want a capable vehicle is it worth exploring or should I stick to Land Cruiser?

Appreciate any insights from this forum. I always find forum members to be straightforward and honest about ownership, compared to sales people :)

#2 ·
Read this forum as well as the P3 G-Class Forum mentioned in my sig. Remove the spaces to get to the website.

I've owned a G since 1984 when I ordered and took delivery of a new 280GE in Germany. I kept it for 18 yrs and 111,000 miles until I purchased my 2000 G500 used in 2002. I continue to drive it.

Ebay is probably as good as anywhere to look. Just be sure of the maintenance by previous owners.

Good luck in your quest!

#4 ·
If you want something for off-road use, forget the Cayenne. It's also way smaller inside than the G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.