Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Caution! G at Work!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ed Mclass 
#1 ·
After wrapping up some tasks in the yard yesterday, I decided to take the UNIMOG out for a trip into the park near where we live. Instead of firing up the engine, all I heard was the tick, tick, tick, of a bad starter! I check the batteries and tired again, same results. I then secured the 15 ft. cable to the back of the 280 GE and to the rear of the Unimog. I pulled it down the driveway about 50 feet and invited my wife out to give me a hand with the G. Moving around to the front I secured the cable again, this time hooking up to the front tow pin on the UNIMOG. The G pulled the Unimog quite well for 40 feet and then I popped the clutch and the engine roared to life! Now it's in the shop with a bad starter to be replaced or repaired. Once again, the versatility of the 280 GE has come to the rescue. Be sure you have excellent brakes before trying this stunt! This was executed on level ground at VERY LOW speed. Who knows, the Unimog may be asked to return the favor. What does the wife drive? A 2002 Beetle TDI. Starts every time. Let's dont't get into that story.

#2 ·
Old MBs never die ... they just need maintenance.

Ed,

Some quality problem you have there. Just like the starter in my 230SL. It went out last week. Only 40 years of reliable service. How can they expect me to buy another one of their products with a defect history like that?
Opened it up, cleaned out the crud, lubed it up & replaced the worn-down-to-the-wire brushes. Starts like new again.

The starter lasted 5 months longer than the pressurized fuel hose. OK, not finding and replacing that one 20 years ago was plain stupid on my part[B)].

#3 ·
Age and beauty

Well Alan, not too bad for 40 years! The Unimog is a 1968 model. A baby at 35! Still the S 404 is a beauty too. I'm lucky to still have a wife who will tow a 6 ton truck with a 5 ton truck and trust me not to smack her at 20 mph! She is a good sport.[:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.