How many miles is too many miles on a G500? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 03 G500 + 05 ML350 SE
How many miles is too many miles on a G500?

'02+ G500... lots out there with lots of miles.

How many miles is too many...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Well maintained? 200k+ wouldn't scare me. Used car lot special that has lots of armor all on the engine? Start looking it over for evidence of maintenance if possible.
NoPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
I am now at 100,000 miles and change on an 2004 model. Frankly, it drives/rides the same now as it did when I got it at around 50,000 miles. I think this vehicle can handle a lot of miles and wouldn't be too fussed if in the market for a used one with 200,000 on the clock - as long as everything else checks out.
Scott Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 03 G500 + 05 ML350 SE
How about 150,000 miles? I'm just worried about what will wear out after 150k miles of usage, heat cycles, engine starts from cold, opening and closing, etc.
BahnStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
If you buy a G, you are always going to have little issues like door locks acting up on you or a windown that won't go down or somesuch. As per cold/warm cycles, uh, I can't say as its something I would be concerned about assuming you have comfort you are into a fairly (at a minimum) well maintained example. I now know mine is 'good' having put on about 55,000 miles of the 100,000. If something goes wrong at 150,000 or 250,000 I will just pay to have it fixed.

This is why i would just be trying to put as much effort up front into confirming how well the vehicle has been maintained if its high mileage. Hopefully its the owner who has it now that can tell you about how most of the miles have been driven and have service records to get you comfortable.
Scott Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

ive got 180000miles on mine and i can tell you that issues are obvious anything rubber is dryrotted....emissions tubing is a pain to replace or the cel light will never go off..... You must be mechanically inclined to be able to maintain this truck or any other vehicle with many years on it obviously where you live is dependent on how much rust there is on the body I always check underneath for rust as I have a heavy machine shop so that is why mine still looks good with so many miles on it also the many sensors for emissions is a problem as the heat in the engine compartment affect them eventually in America in the state of Maryland near Baltimore is where I live

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
huevorosado is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class