#1 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Brian

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
280G, what is it worth?

Hello all,<br>
<br>
I'm new here (no sh#t, eh?), and have a question regaurding a 84 - 85 (not quite sure on the year)280G that is forsale near me. 21,000 miles, has engine problems, possibly blown engine. Summer and winter tops (soft and hard?), manual trans, dark red body had some work done - fenders repaired, body resprayed. I've been repairing and modding german cars for 10+ years, so an engine R&R would be no problem for me (or would it?)<br>
<br>
He offered the vehicle to me for $10k USD. Would anyone say this is a good deal, even considering the limited info I gave?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Alan

Re: 280G, what is it worth?

Just curious Brian, whereabouts are you?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Brent

If it is not running and has been crashed and repaired(how well), I wouldn't pay $10k. You can probably find a nice running truck for 15-20k. At $7k you are leaving room to make repairs. That is assuming the tops are in good condition and the truck is not rusty. I would bet that it is far from 21k miles, probably 121 or 221. Something would have to be seriously amiss to blow the engine at 21k.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 01:48 PM
Brian

Alan, I'm located in western Massachusetts.<br>
<br>
Not crashed, rust repair on fenders. Owner claims it was stored for 10+ years in a barn... Been out on the road again for for 6 years.<br>
<br>
I need to have a looksie in the flesh to get a real idea of what kind of mileage it has done.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Brian<br>
01 Audi S4 Avant
#5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Brent

When you check it out, look in the rear fender wells for rust. In the back near the bumper is a common place for rust to start on a G of that vintage. <br> <br> If the engine needs a rebuild, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. It is essentially the same as the pass car version as found in the 280SE or SEL. The main difference being lower compression for crappy gas and a baffled oil pan for off-roading. If you do choose to rebuild go for the higher compression of the sedan, it will give you ~180hp over the 156 stock. <br> <br> If it has sat for that long you will be in for some diff lock servicing too. They tend to freeze up with lack of use. Let us know if you get the truck. There is plenty of knowledge floating around if you need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.