Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine dies and restarts when turning hard right. Any ideas of cause?

1K views 9 replies 0 participants last post by  Daniel Diaz 
G
#1 ·
When my gas tank marks 1/4 or less and I take a hard curve to the right (as a 360 degree turn into the highway from a bridge, suddenly the engine sputters out and restarts again as soon as I level the car on the straightaway.<br> <br> I've figured that it must have something to do with a sudden lack of gas to the engine by the position of the gasoline in the gas tank when turning and the feeder of gas in the tank. However, I think the engineers at Mercedes must have thought of this and perhaps something is wrong in my car. Can any of the G experts of the board give me some feedback of the problem?<br> <br> Thanx

G
#2 ·
Daniel,<br> <br> In the 1986 280GE gas tank there is a plastic tub that helps hold fuel over the intake pipe during maneuvers (either in angle of bank or acceleration). There is a name for it and I'm sure someone will help me recall it.<br> <br> One of three candidates come to mind:<br> -Tub has broken away, <br> -Prefilter in the tank has picked up some material on the outside down low that is preventing fuel flow at low levels,<br> -Or your down to just a few gallons when your showing 1/4 tank.<br> <br> Tub breakaway is unlikely so the first thing I would check is the prefilter. Drain the tank down as far as you can (syphon it, and for goodness sake don't prime it with your mouth). Then open the nut/cap in the bottom of the tank (you'll see it in the precut hole in the tank mounting plate). The remaining fuel will drain (probably 4-8 liters). Remove the cap/nut and the prefilter will come out with it. <br> <br> At this point, with a good flashlight, you should be able to see the pretank. It's about 15-20 cm in diameter and the hole you looking through sits about in the middle. Give it a gentle nudge with a long dull screwdriver. Remeber it's made of plastic (at least it is for 1986). If it's loose, you'll know it.<br> <br> Hope it's simple.

G
#3 ·
Also if the gas is low, the engine should not die, because for such situations is the fuel repertoire which is located next to the fuel filter. Maybe the repertoire is broken!? But I don't know how to check this.<br>
<br>
G-reetings, Arnd

G
#5 ·
Arnd, do you have the schmatic of the fuel tank?

Do you happen to have the schematic of the fuel tank with all the parts inside so I can have an idea of what to look for when I open the gas tank? I know you've posted other parts of the G and perhaps you have the gas tank.<br> <br> Thanx

G
#6 ·
Re: Arnd, do you have the schmatic of the fuel tank?

Hi Daniel!<br> <br> No, I don't have a shematic of the tank inside...<br> <br> Hmmm, you want to open your fuel-tank!? I'm not sure, if it is possible!? The old metal-tank can not be opened (without destrocting!)...<br> If it is really the fueltank, I think it must be replaced.... :-((<br> <br> Greetings, Arnd

G
#7 ·

Daniel, <br> <br> Unless the G-wagen changed a lot from 1987 to 1990-91 in the fuel tank, look underneath the mounting plate that the entire gas tank sits on. You will see a cut out that is about 6-8cm in diameter. You will see a large threaded access point. After draining the tank, simply unscrew it and the only three parts you will have in your hand are the cap, seal (maybe, I can't remember) and the screen.<br> <br> Presuming our vehicles are similiar, this should be the case. I had my tank completely off two years ago for a cleanout. It's very straightforward. Cheers from the U.S.<br> <br> S,<br> J.R. Brown

G
#8 ·

Daniel, It just dawned on me that you might be thinking that you can replace or reset the bowl in the tank. The tank does not come apart. It would have to be cut open at the top and then welded back together. It can be done, but only by qualified personnel. I don't have any info on whether or not the bowl exists seperately.<br> <br> My experience to date is, if the bowl has broken free, procure a new tank.<br> <br> S, J.R.

G
#9 ·
I also had this problem with my 460 280ge,It may not be the same problem but i traced my fault to a broken fuel pump feed wire that was breaking contact when i turned tightish right hand bends.<br> Hope this is of use.<br> GORDON BRADFORD<br> UNITED KINGDOM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.