This is how the Difflock works - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2002, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Karl

This is how the Difflock works

For all those, who like me find it difficult to imagine how these things work, I've found an excellent schematic drawing. It's quite simple really!<br>
Karl
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2002, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paul Garland

Re: This is how the Difflock works

Karl - Do I understand this right that they are activated pneumatically? If so where does the air pressure come from?<br> <br> Best Regards - Paul Garland
Old 01-14-2002, 03:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
DUTCH

I don't know about the 463's, but the 460's are activated hydraulically - just like your brakes and/or clutch.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pete

It is my understanding that the final actuation in the 463 is done hydraulically. The switch is electrical, which send a signal to a vacuum crossover valve which in turns activates the dedicated hydraulic system.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Marcial Molina

Hello Everyone,<br> <br> I recently dismounted my rear diff lock pump ,(240GD 460 Type) and tested it for pressure and leaks. It appears to be fine but the lock is not engaging. I followed the hydraulic lines and they end up in another pump on the rear axel right beside the differential. Could it be that that pump is stuck? What is the fuction of that pump (is that for the brakes or for the diff)? The front hydraulic lines also lead to a similar pump on the front axle (just like in the picture Karl posted). How many pumps activate the diff? <br> On a different note when GA (low 4x4) is on does the power distribute 50 /50 to both differential on a 460 type? If GA is on and rear diff is on and a front tire is spinning will most power go to the spinning wheel. Thank you for the help.<br> <br> Best regrads,<br> <br> Marcial
Old 01-14-2002, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
DUTCH

Those 'pumps' on the axles are in actuality 'slave cylinders' - just like the clutch slave cyldiner and your brake cylinders. They convert the hydraulic pressure started by those master cylinder 'pumps' into mechinical motion in the locking mechanism in the axle shaft.<br> <br> To answer your second question, yes, the power will go to the spinning wheel. Lock the front diff, too; and you'll have 25% power to each of the 4 wheels.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Roly

The hydraulic system operates at 15 bar and uses brake fluid.It has a seperate reservoir .The fluid should be changed annually<br> <br> Roly<br> 92 300GD
Old 01-14-2002, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Irish sean

Thanks Dutch<br> just what I wanted to start work on mine.<br> Can U pull up a shematic of how the old hydraulic master cylinders for the ft/rr diff locks? Makes life much easier,and the shop manual doesnt seem to cover the master diff lock cylinders.At least I cant find it?<br> PS I like the saying from Mr Jefferson.Take it you are a pro 2nd man like myself?<br> Sean
Old 01-14-2002, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
DUTCH

I don't have a schematic for the master cylinders either - only for the slave unit on the axle; but it's not a schematic - just a few pages on the removal, disassembly, reassembly and installation of it.<br> <br> And, yes, old Tom definitely knew why the 2nd amendment was put in the US Constitution Bill of Rightd; and it's not just so that a person can go hunting . . . . . . . . . . . . . .at least not only for food anyway.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2009
where is the diff???
elbruz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class