How much wind noise is too much? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
How much wind noise is too much?

When I drive on the freeway (60+ mph) in my '02 G500 it almost sounds like the driver side passenger door is open. There is a buffeting sound right behind me.

The gaps in the doors are the same as on the rest of the truck. The door is not loose in anyway. All the weather stripping seems to be in order so I cannot really figure out what the problem is. Maybe I am missing some sound insulation?

I know the car has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick wall but this is not normal right? Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?
Doyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2003 G500
Is the sunroof open but all the windows are up? (I'm not trying to be funny.) When I drive my G with all the windows up and open the sunroof all the way (not just the tilt/vent), there are definitely wind/buffeting issues, so I just crack open the rear windows a little bit, and all is well.
Texas G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

The car would have filled up with water by now if any of the windows/sunroof was open...I will double check tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 96 G300DT
Well the sunroof could still be the problem. If you leave the sunroof in the pop-up position for long periods of time the front rubber gasket can get compressed and allow quite a bit of noise in. A strip of duct tape over the sunroof gaps will rule that problem in/out.
98 E300DT
AlanMcR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Interesting...I will try that. My sunroof has a dent in it...it functions perfectly though.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
I usually only drive my G several times a month and the remainder of the time the vehicle is garaged. I always left the sunroof cracked in the upward position to allow the vehicle to ventillate for the weeks it sits idle.

Some time ago I had a similar issue and turns out it was the gasket near the front of the sunroof from the steel plate pressing down against the gasket. I left the sunroof down for a couple of weeks and the next time I drove the vehicle the issue had gone away.

Seeing as you have a dent in your sunroof I am nearly positive you have an area near the front which is skewed from its original position causing air to be pushed downward into the vehicle.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > G-Class