Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Buying older (pre 1995) G class in Germany to import to Canada

11K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  UntenMotors 
#1 ·
Hi,

I believe that one can import a Mercedes, if it is more than 15 years old, much more easily, as it does not have to have been specifically manufactured to Canadian or US specs. I realize that one would still have to add daytimne running lights, etc, and have it inspected at Canadian tire, to make it legal in Canada.

Just wondering if anyone has done this, and could share a few details.
I am most interested in diesel models.

For example,

- best channels to buy in Germany, or other European countries.
- rough shipping costs
- other considerations

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

#3 ·
I found an importer here in Alberta, and he did all the leg work for me. Good side, all I had to do was write the cheque. Bad news, it was a big cheque. You're right, if it's over 15 years old all I needed done was an out-of-province inspection. The only thing they had to do was set up the day time running lights, other than that my G was straight European stock. Mine is a 1990 463 300GD. Low mileage, but no options. In fact, there are 460s out there with more interior toys than mine. But I got what I wanted: 5-speeds, 5 doors, diff-locks, and bomb-proof MB diesel.

#5 ·
Allister - thanks for the info.

Did your import guy take care of the selection of vehicles, and just give you a few to choose from, etc?

Was it for sale on a car lot in Europe, or private sale?

Does he have someone over there who test drives / inspects them prior to purchase?

If it's not too much too ask, could you PM me (or post here) with some rough numbers such as shipping or importing - and / or a contact name for importing.

I am wondering if your's was shipped to Halifax, and then sent rail / truck to Alberta. Any idea how much the land segment was, as I could pick it up in Halifax.

#7 ·
This might be helpful; and from what I've heard elsewhere, be very wary when dealing with Red Cougar.

Attachments

#8 ·
Dutch - thanks for the great info.

Would love to see any other info on different model types, etc. Mostly interested in what I can afford (likley mid 80's to mid 90's).

If anyone has links to used Gwagon / autos for sale sites in Europe / Gernany, would be great as well.

#13 ·
I imported two G wagens from Germany to Toronto in 2001. It would be very expensive to do it today because of the exchange rate. The best way to proceed would be to go over and look at these vehicles in person--I know this is expensive but you have to consider all the expensives related to fixing an overpriced lemon. The next best thing if you had a friend in Germany would could be your eyes and help broker the deal for you. Best of luck

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Mike,

That is sound advice. My wife wants to go to Europe anyway. Not that I have extra cash, but we may go over for a couple of weeks, and do a little truck hunting, on top of normal tourist stuff. I have been there a couple of times visiting.

Can I ask how you arranged transport / shipping for your vehicles?

If I find one:
Is is feasible to hire a shipping company in Germany to get it to the coast, and transort by boat to Canada?
Or, is it better / much cheaper to drive it myself to a port town, in Germany, or another country, and drop it right of at "the boat" ie a shipping company?
(this would require a temporary permit of some sort - not sure how hard that is to obtain???)

All advice would be appreciated!

#15 ·
#18 ·
I am just a newbi to G-wagon's so I also have a untrained eye but I'm learning! Maybe one of the Calgary G people can check out this G-wagon for you and give you some info and then maybe you could get a shop to perform a PPI (pre-purschase inspection) if it's worthy!!! Good lucky with your search.

#19 ·
Yes, Arnd did import my G. I told him what I wanted, and he came back with a couple of choices. To be honest, I don't know if it came from a dealer or not. I know he does have connections in Germany, and seems to have a network of people he deals with. The G was driven from the seller, to Hamburg and loaded on the ship to Montreal. From there it went by rail to Calgary. There was some minor body damage in shipping as a result of the Agricultural inspection in Montreal, but everything was fixed before I picked up the G.

The DRL system was installed by Arnd. The G has had nothing to do with Mercedes of Canada. That being said I have bought parts from them, and the local dealer hasn't had a problem getting parts for me. A much better reception than others have had from Toyota with their JDM Landcruisers.

#20 ·
Hello, I operate in Japan and specialize in private importing of fine used cars to Canada. There are plenty of older G-classes with low kms available in Japan. I am able to locate your desired vehicle from dealers or dealer auctions and handle the evaluation, negotiation and purchasing of the vehicle, as well as all the export and import paperwork and preparation on both the Japanese end , as well as the Canadian end (if requested). Let me know if you are interested or want more details. PM or email are fine.

I am actually in the process of exporting a 2 door g-class. 1994, loaded, with about 100,000 km.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.