Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rust Protection

995 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dseretakis 
#1 ·
The book states that any furter corrosion protection is not recommended. However I see an 02 G with severe corrosion under the doors driving around here locally, so the original protection seem to be no match for the dances with salt in MI. I just picked up a white 03 from outside the snowbelt with a CPO warranty and would like to do whatever is necessary to prevent the typical salt damage. By going over the G with a fine tooth comb I realize that there are several body seams where the paint has started to crack. Should I fill these cracks, with paint, with silicone, with something special?
Should I add/redo the original wax coating? Is this a job for Ziebart? What is the paint warranty and does the CPO extend it? Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
If you drive your G wagen or any other car in salt it will rust no matter what you do. If you have to drive in salt, the best thing you can do is wash the car as soon as possible. Make sure to thoroughly hose off underbody, wheel wells, behind bumpers, everywhere. Make sure you angle the nozzle in all directions to dislodge salt and dirt from every crevice possible. The car will still eventually rust, but hopefully at a slower pace. It's also a good thing to wax 3-4x per year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.