Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Yet Another Locker Question (searched)

955 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Andyman746 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Ive searched on this topic and couldnt find an answer. Hopefully these questions are not too silly.

I always read to never lock the diff's on pavement. Is this because the steering is not responsive and it is unsafe to drive?
OR
Will the differentials malfunction because they are not "fully functioning?"

Also, when engaging the lockers, the manual states to activate while driving at a low speed.
Can the lockers be engaged while not in motion? Is it safe?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
When locked, both wheels (left and right side) are propelled together. The problem with locking them on pavement, etc. is turning. This can really tear things up. When you turn, the outside wheel has to turn at a faster rpm than the inside wheel. When locked they can't, so components bind up. Then, you get wheel hop usually followed by the sound of metal exploding. This is what breaks things. I've locked up on asphalt on occasion to extract vehicles from ditches etc, but always keep the wheels dead straight and go very slow.

#5 ·
You can press the buttons while the car is still, but the actual mechanical engagement may not happen until you travel forward a little. Slow movement helps everything line up and drop into place. But locker actuation while sitting still won't hurt anything. Just don't floor it until you've rolled forward a few feet to fully engage the locking mechanism.

#6 ·
Using lockers on dry pavement is a bad idea; but its one that has actually has a bit of history...

A lot of old 4x4's will weld the spider gears in the rear diff together. It's called a Lincoln Locker. Anyways, its hard on the tires and drivetrain but parts typically don't come spewing out of the diffs when this is done. As mentioned previously, with the lockers on, the wheels will be moving at the same speed, meaning during any turn, something will need to slip (hopefully the tires!).

Mind you I wouldn't want to risk breaking something in my Merc diff and have to shell out thousands to get it fixed.... also there is a safety question there as well...

Cheers,

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.