Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Lookin to buy an '08 G500 - 2 questions

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Sandee 
#1 ·
Looking at a new 2008 G500.

Is there an Ipod connection that is included? I see the 2009 G550 has an Ipod hookup, but want to know about the 2008.

Has anyone installed a class III trailer hitch?

Many thanks

Bill

#2 ·
Why wouldn't you just get an 09? Makes no sense to get the outgoing model brand new, when a redesign with improved fully updated electronics and new looks is coming out ASAP. The 08's are going to take a sharp depreciation hit when the 09's hit the road.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The price difference between a new '08 and a new '09 is about $20-$25k, depending on discounts on the '09's. There is a local dealer with black '08 marked down to $74.5k. Figure an '09 might be marked down to $95k.

In any event, there are new 08's available for low to mid $70's.

VB997, thanks for the link on the trailer hitch setup. I'll have to give Colin a call today about his setup.

#11 ·
I didn't know you knew Colin or I would have mentioned him by name...great guy, know him well...I've built several racecars with CDOC products!

Is the new 2008 model you mentioned in C ville? I've had my G since August (purchased new at Phillips MB) and have not been thrilled about the feel of the brake pedal but have not test driven any other G's (0 stock at Phillips). Colin offered me his but our schedules have not worked out. I was thinking it might be easier to drive to C ville on a Saturday and test drive the one at the dealer. I’ve had my G in for service and they tell me the pedal feel is normal…I ‘m not buying it and want to do my own follow up. I love my G but something isn’t right with my brakes. To me it feels like there is air in the system (mushy/long travel)…If you know Colin well, ask him about my car building ability.

#14 ·
VB997 - I figured there couldn't be too many G500's in Gordonsville. I've known Colin for several years.

Don't think I can get a dealer to knock 15-20% off of an '09, but figured that 20% off a 2008 might be a good deal.

Also looking at a loaded-up Porsche Cayenne S or maybe a GTS, to go with my 1994 928 GTS.

#21 ·
Thank you. I seem to recall from a few posts that people are content with the DICE, but apparently it supersedes the CD changer. User feedback would be appreciated (and responsive to the original post).

Not sure that a substitution is cost-effective given that the car can read MP3 CDs. I wish MB would offer an integrated OEM solution as on my CL that could be retrofitted.

#23 ·
Re: loaded-up Porsche Cayenne S or maybe a GTS

< loaded-up Porsche Cayenne S or maybe a GTS >

I had a loaded Cayenne S (2 actually) - it was great, no complaints whatsoever! And, it matched my 911. However, once I drove the G ... I was sold (traded my 08 997 C4S cab in on an 08 G500!). Just LOVE it. Way different ... you really need to drive both before 'thinking' you like one over the other.

---------------------------

Sandee | NJ
08 G500 (mine)
08 SL550 (his)
08 C300 4matic (ours)

My many cars!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.