Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What do you guys think about this G-Wagon?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  snyder.hunter 
#1 ·
Hi!
This is my first post here in the G-wagon forum. I'm usually lurking in the W123 forum.
Anyways I really really like the G class and have always wanted one
So I occasionally look on craigslist for them.
And being a young college age newly married man I dont have alot of money
to throw around. So I was really excited to find this

Unique Mercedes 4X4

And pictures here
Shutterfly | View share

I dont really know too much about G-wagons and how difficult or expensive they are to fix.
But how does this one look to you guys?
does 3500$ sound like a good price?
and how much of an issue is the rust going to be?

BTW I work as a detailer at the Mercedes dealership here in Spokane Wa, So I get a discount on parts and stuff, but they're still not cheap.

Thanks alot!

See less See more
#3 ·
There's a lot of cancer on that body. The bit about water leaks likely means there is also rust on the inside.

I don't know about the 460 odometers in imperial, but in metric they only have 5 digits. So I'd be suspect about a 23 year old G wagon only have 51K. Maybe more like 151K.

"Brakes have been worked on recently and returned to normal operation, but system may be leaking fluid." WTF? Don't mess around with brakes. They must work.

My two cents: Could be a good project, may even turn out to be a great G. But I wouldn't go into it thinking your only going to spend $3500.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Do yourself a favor and buy a good, used G500 with the $30k you'll spend to get this 460 up to snuff. All of that cool nostalgia comes with a high pricetag. I paid $16K three years ago for mine and have put at least that much into it since.

#7 ·
I've dealt with a very similar situation with my old 280GE, only I paid a little more than twice that amount. I had to change out nearly all the panels on the truck and fabricate some more from sheet metal to clean it up, and even then there was the constant fear that it would return.

It begins to consume your life, always inspecting, spraying underliner, doing everything possible to prevent rust, and there's never a guarantee it won't reappear... If you want the truck for anything more than a beater trail rig, don't bother... I used to have an album on here with my restoration but it seems to have disappeared... I'll try to track it down and post my restoration...

#8 ·
Also I'd like to mention that the panels aren't really that expensive and the front quarter panels are bolt on replacements, the rockers, rear quarter panels and rear panels housing the taillights need to be cut out and welded into place...

I did much of the work myself and with a friend who charged very little for labour, so all the parts, bodywork, and complete repaint only cost me $3k (including $500USD/gallon mercedes brilliant silver paint). So unless you know somebody and have the time and patience to take on a highly intensive project, it would cost you a lot more and end up not being worth it in the end...

But $3500 for a trail rig with good drive train and working lockers is pretty decent, go inspect it again with the dealer, poke your finger through the floorboard in front of him, and talk him down to 2.5-3k. Then cut it all out and just weld some sheetmetal floorboards into place once you have the title in your hand and hit the trails!

#9 ·
I'd like to insert my two cents. Get yourself a solid truck, unless you are doing all the work yourself. I bought a rust bucket and I am slowly buying parts about 500 dollars at a time, and it is getting expensive quickly. I much rather would have saved my money, bought a 463 SWB, even if it was a gasoline engine over my preferred diesel motor.

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the info and opinions!

I really really want it... like really bad! :crybaby2:

But, I think the best thing for me to do right now is
save up some more money and wait for another one
to come along... :(

I was thinking I would get it and just do the really urgent repairs
right away. And just use it for a trail vehicle for now.
But the smartest thing would be to save and wait... :surrender:

any tips on searching craigslist or good links for classifieds would be appreciated!
Gelendawagon is spelled so many different ways on craigslist!
(Gelaendewagen, Gelaendewagon, Gelandewagon, Gelandewagen, G-Wagen, and G-Wagon)

#13 ·
It all comes down to your expectations. The fundamentals look pretty good. If you are looking for an entry level G-Wagon that you can take off-road and beat up on... Perfect!
If you are looking for something to dress up and show off... Then there are better options out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.