Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300GD auto transmission does not shift up

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BlueG 
#1 ·
Hi All

Could someone point me in the correct direction. I have a 84 300GD which has been off the road for some 18 months. I have finally got it back on the road and find that the auto does not want to shift out of what feels like 1st gear (The repairs I did had nothing to do with the transmission). I have checked the 1st gear lock out micro switch and it look OK. I read that the Flyweight Governor could also be stuck. I don't know much about auto transmissions so is this something easy to get unstuck or is there anything else I can try before sending it off to the mechanic.

Thanks

BlueG

#2 · (Edited)
May be i am wrong , but i did not find auto transmition on 300 Gd 460 models.Is your engine a 617? I only saw firt gear lock (B position) in 603 / 103 engine transmition.

So if is that the case from what sedan model your engine and transmition came ?

Any way i had a similar problem on my 300D turbo( 617 951 from SD) - sometimes with gear in L ( car does only 1 and 2 ) the car moves , other not.So i start to undestand that there was same difficult to put gear in P and it realy brakes the car. I discovered i had a non original and short nut making dificult to engage 1 and P in correct position.
Check shaft/geabox nut connector. Its easy to control that.It may be disconnected.

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi

The 300GD did come with original Auto transmissions. The Auto was working fine before I had it off the road for the 18 months. I have checked all the connections and everything looks fine. I expect that it must be something minor, however I don't have much experience with Autos to do any detailed fault finding. Would you know what the Flyweight Governor is and where is it located.?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.