Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Stability Control And Fatality

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ckedin 
#1 ·
Link: Consumer Reports Article - MSN Autos

"BENEFITS OF ESC

The IIHS report shows the effectiveness of vehicles that have electronic stability control (ESC). In particular, SUVs are becoming safer with the availability of ESC, and six models equipped with it are included on the lowest death rates list. All but three out of 15 vehicles on that list have available or standard ESC. In contrast, of the 16 vehicles with the highest death rate, none have standard ESC and it is optional on only the Nissan 350Z. A separate study revealed that ESC has the potential to save 10,000 lives per year and can significantly reduce the risk of fatal crashes, including rollovers.

Consumer Reports has long recommended adding ESC to vehicles. With each model year, more and more manufacturers are equipping their vehicles with this important safety technology either as an option or standard feature. And, ESC will be standard on all new vehicles under 10,000 pounds by 2012."

Need i say more?? Doesn't anyone need anymore proof to the effectiveness of stability control?? Cat-like reflexes can only go so far....:D

See less See more
#3 ·
saigonsmuggler said:
Link: Consumer Reports Article - MSN Autos

"BENEFITS OF ESC

The IIHS report shows the effectiveness of vehicles that have electronic stability control (ESC). In particular, SUVs are becoming safer with the availability of ESC, and six models equipped with it are included on the lowest death rates list. All but three out of 15 vehicles on that list have available or standard ESC. In contrast, of the 16 vehicles with the highest death rate, none have standard ESC and it is optional on only the Nissan 350Z. A separate study revealed that ESC has the potential to save 10,000 lives per year and can significantly reduce the risk of fatal crashes, including rollovers.

Consumer Reports has long recommended adding ESC to vehicles. With each model year, more and more manufacturers are equipping their vehicles with this important safety technology either as an option or standard feature. And, ESC will be standard on all new vehicles under 10,000 pounds by 2012."

Need i say more?? Doesn't anyone need anymore proof to the effectiveness of stability control?? Cat-like reflexes can only go so far....:D
It would, however, be nice to have the option of turning off the stability control - the G55 will not let you remove the ASC over 34/35mph.

I was taken by a hyundai santa fe on an off ramp one day because the mercedes safety net thought I was in danger. Not a good feeling.

#4 ·
ckedin said:
It would, however, be nice to have the option of turning off the stability control - the G55 will not let you remove the ASC over 34/35mph.

I was taken by a hyundai santa fe on an off ramp one day because the mercedes safety net thought I was in danger. Not a good feeling.
Yeah, but do you really want to test the limits of a 5500+ lbs box-on-wheels?? Hyundai santa fe will probably beat any G in handling...it is based on a car platform, has independent suspensions, and lower center of gravity.

I know...i am an old fart...nevermind my post.:D

#5 ·
saigonsmuggler said:
Yeah, but do you really want to test the limits of a 5500+ lbs box-on-wheels?? Hyundai santa fe will probably beat any G in handling...it is based on a car platform, has independent suspensions, and lower center of gravity.

I know...i am an old fart...nevermind my post.:D
after seeing that G drift - you had better believe I want to test the limits- - -lol

(even if it does look like he almost flipped)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.