Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1979 Mercedes-Benz : G-Class

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MLOffRoad 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The price seems a little high for a '79. They did a good job cleaning it up, but what did they cover up in the process?

#4 ·
Saigon76nyc - 5/1/2005 1:04 PM

Is this G-class 1979 model a good deal ?
Look at it VERY closely; and get it inspected before you send any money. It doesn't look like a 1979. Get the VIN, and someone can check it for you.

There is no Consumers Reports info on this truck, as it is not an official import.

And, yes, he's asking too much money for it.

#5 ·
An Additional Thought

Saigon76nyc - 5/1/2005 1:04 PM

I am looking for a durable and economical G-class vehicle for my wife.

Thank you,

Van
If you're driving a 1995 G320 and you get a 1979 230G for your wife, I'd be willing to bet some money that you'll be driving the 1979 230G in very short order. [}:)]

And he's not asking too much money for this truck. He's asking far and away too much money.

#6 ·
RE: An Additional Thought

only thing i can say is that IF it's always been in Los Angeles, as long as it didn't live immediately on the coast it could be an entirely rust free vehicle... which is worth quite a bit in my opinion... but since it has been repainted i'd be checking it pretty throughly... under the front floor mats, inside the doors and rear panels... assuming it really is in that good shape, there's also something to say for not having to go through the hassle of managing the restoration work yourself.

#7 ·
RE: An Additional Thought

ewalberg - 5/2/2005 4:22 AM

only thing i can say is that IF it's always been in Los Angeles,
With that particular seller, it's about 99.99% sure that it's a recent import from Germany; and all the years of salt that it experienced before it got here. New paint covers a lot of sins!

#9 ·
Too much bad mojo

Notice he says it's "currently registered" then mentions it has "California Insurance". This is crook-speak for, "I'm managing to get away with driving it illegally in California, and maybe you could too".

If it really were a decent G, there wouldn't have been any need to paint it, add the aluminum wheels (79s had steel), clear turn signals, flares, etc.

And if those more familiar with e-bay than I say it's been back for repeaded return engagements, that's always a bad sign.

The number of people trying to get away with this kind of stuff every day give's the older Gs a bad name. Find yourself an honest seller with a decent original truck. Someone who's spent money on the RIGHT things, like a front axle service or new OEM shocks or something.

Just my opinion.

-Dave G.

#10 ·
RE: Too much bad mojo

Hipine - 5/3/2005 10:26 AM

The number of people trying to get away with this kind of stuff every day give's the older Gs a bad name. Find yourself an honest seller with a decent original truck. Someone who's spent money on the RIGHT things, like a front axle service or new OEM shocks or something.

Just my opinion.

-Dave G.
This seller has had a number of questionable G's on Ebay for the past 2-3 years. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, even if he threw in his fender ornament.[xx(]

#11 ·
Everyone should know this guy is a SCAMMER!!! He's trying to scam my best friend in Tampa. He's not willing to return the deposit of $2000 eventhough it doesnt state anything about a non-refundable deposit on the auction. He wants to take my friends money via wire and doesnt even want to deal with an escrow. Apparently he needs his money ASAP and cant even cpome up with a copy of a title!!!

DO NOT purchase or deal with this person if you ever see this vehicle on e-bay or online again!!!

P.S- The guys name Sven Rauhut and his phone number is 562-598-2925. I have his address if anyone would like to help out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.