Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HID'S are here... Pictures inside.

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  4x4G 
#1 ·
UPS just dropped these off, kinda nice of them to considering they where suppose to be here last firday.

I will instal them tonight and take pictures. figure ill put the old factory bulb in so you can the difference in the "ricer blue" and factory then HID and factory and if there is still time left ill do the hid vs "ricer blue" bulbs.

This is the kit and what all it comes with.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
will do. ran into some problems. when you turn them on the car says you have no lights, so it all wiggs out. the kit came with its own 12 volt supply lines that are suppse to be hooked to the battary then you plug the factory harness that goes into the head light bulb into the hid harness then in to the hid bulb. Well because mb has to let you know when the head light is out it trips all the lights. We then bypasses the kits 12 volt lines and it workes fine on low beam. When you turn on the high beam it turns off all the lights. Brad, my electircal guy said we need to get a resistor to do something. Im out on electrical stuff. So today we will go get the resistor and work on it tonight or tomarrow some. All in all its probably a plug and play on a normal car. We did them last week on the ML and had no problems at all. also do to the shape of the head light there is no "color" as in blue on bmw and the purple you see on audi's and the bluish pink the mb have. these are just white. no color tent to them at all. Looks like a two spot lights.

As for the pattern they project, you can adjust it like you do regular head lights. i have my driver turned down more then the passanger so i dont bling people. Im sure if one worked at it long enough you have a perfect line in the road. mine is more like this ___----- for now.

here are the begining pictures of the install.

#11 · (Edited)
Correct - the truck needs to "measure" the 55W bulb (low) and 65w (high) at each headlight (in combination with the other lights) or else the system will issue the "bulb out" warning.
So what you need to do is determine the draw of the HID kit and add sufficient wattage via a resistor so the truck is still measuring the 55W/65W at each light - that way the system believes everything is in order.
Also, you will want to shield the resistor(s) (low/high) since it will probably be in the 20-40 watt range so it is not a fire hazard

This may prove to be difficult given my suspicion that the draw by the ballast varries depending whether it is striking the arc or maintaining the arc

#7 ·
Kerr - 4/1/2005 8:30 AM

will do. ran into some problems. when you turn them on the car says you have no lights, so it all wiggs out. the kit came with its own 12 volt supply lines that are suppse to be hooked to the battary then you plug the factory harness that goes into the head light bulb into the hid harness then in to the hid bulb. Well because mb has to let you know when the head light is out it trips all the lights. We then bypasses the kits 12 volt lines and it workes fine on low beam. When you turn on the high beam it turns off all the lights. Brad, my electircal guy said we need to get a resistor to do something. Im out on electrical stuff. So today we will go get the resistor and work on it tonight or tomarrow some. All in all its probably a plug and play on a normal car. We did them last week on the ML and had no problems at all. also do to the shape of the head light there is no "color" as in blue on bmw and the purple you see on audi's and the bluish pink the mb have. these are just white. no color tent to them at all. Looks like a two spot lights.

As for the pattern they project, you can adjust it like you do regular head lights. i have my driver turned down more then the passanger so i dont bling people. Im sure if one worked at it long enough you have a perfect line in the road. mine is more like this ___----- for now.

here are the begining pictures of the install.
You have 2 options - either somebody with a StarDiag machine needs to enable Xenon lights in the cluster or you can fiddle around with the resistor route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.